Isolating hot water | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Isolating hot water in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, the mixer tap on our kitchen sink is in need of replacement, its white although a lot of the "paint" or whatever makes it white is flaking off and a few days ago we started having trouble turning the cold tap off, so thought now is the time to replace, unfortunately there is no isolation valves fitted to either hot or cold supply, the tails on the hot are soldered to the pipe and the cold is connected by a compression fitting, so to replace would mean cutting pipes, but with no isolation valves would be tricky, especially the hot side, so I've opted for replacing the valves instead as a short term solution, cold was easy as just turned off main stopcock also under the sink, and then headed for the airing cupboard to turn off the supply to the cylinder (vented) only to find that the gate valve is well and truly stuck, so opted to do it "live" as the hots obviously not high pressure, which has made the taps work perfectly again, but the question is, how can I shut off the hot water supply to replace the tap (and fit isolation valves) in the not to distant future?

I've read that you can just turn of the main stopcock, run a hot tap and wait for the header tank to empty, but have also seen this can introduce airlocks into the system?

Now I'm sure the easiest thing to do is call in a plumber to sort it out, but I do enjoy doing these sorts of jobs myself and building up my man points!

Many thanks

best way is to drain down replace gate valve for a full bore leaver handled valve in my opinion but you could always snatch a comp or pushfit iso in if you are struggling just open as many other hot draw off points and be quick I do this quite regular in many situations as many others will also but I am experienced and still get caught out from time to time so my over all advice is drain down replace gate valve with lever valve add full bore iso's to every other outlet and refill and if airlocks crop up force them out

Turn off the mains, drain the tank in the loft. Leave all taps in open position, change the offending gate valve for a new one or better still a lever valve. Turn mains back on, refill tank, leave all taps open to clear airlocks. When taps are running for couple minutes turn them off. Let tank fill. Brand new cold feed to cylinder valve job done

You seem brave by doing the hot live, how about bunging the tank connector which feeds the cylinder, open hot taps and then change the gate valve for a lever valve

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys (as always) I know I said that I didn't want to call a plumber as I'd rather do it myself, but I have British Gas Homecare 200 and it has just made me wonder if they would replace the gate valve under this agreement as its in a bit of an awkward position?

Might be worth a call!

It's good practice to fit isolation to taps but not a regulation. You do however have to fit them where there is a float valve or instantaneous water heater.

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Are you sure the taps arnt off the mains as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I have a stopcock in my closet at my flat...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
Back