Isolation Valves Query | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Isolation Valves Query in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi what is the purpose of isolation valves on pipes? All of my tap pipes have isolation valves and should they be fully turned for the water pressure?

Thanks

1. They make no difference to the pressure. They can make a difference to the flow.
2. They should normally be fully open.
3. Where taps have copper pipe into the body of the tap, full bore isolation valves will generally give better flow than the cheap, limited bore ones. However, if the taps are connected with flexible hoses, these are already of so narrow a bore that it makes little difference.
4. The are meant to be fitted close to each outlet, so that the outlet can be worked on independently without shutting off the water to other outlets.

Hi what is the purpose of isolation valves on pipes? All of my tap pipes have isolation valves and should they be fully turned for the water pressure?
They are 'service valves', essentially for water conservation and convenience. The idea is that if the tap washer fails you can isolate it and then change the washer easily at your leisure. I think that they are nice to have as long as they are decent quality and haven't seized open when needed. There's plenty of plumbers who'd disagree with me and say that they're more trouble than they're worth in a domestic system.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I had new taps fitted within the last year on...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Kop
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks!
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Ben-gee. Wasn't sure it existed myself...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I figured I should let you guys know in case...
Replies
Views
Back