Issue with a replacement central heating install- 15 rads! | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Issue with a replacement central heating install- 15 rads! in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

theanalyst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
ok guys.
I did an install the other day. It was in a property that is actually 2 houses joined into one house to make a detached (semis). As a result the pipework was from what we could make out, both sides literally joined into one.
I installed a Vaillant 831 as there is one bathroom and one downstairs cloakroom. Although there is 15 rads they are mainly small singles and I have fitted this boiler with no issues on similiar sized houses, apart from adding an extra expansion vessesl on one where the pipe runs were long.

This house doest have huge pipe runs, but here lies the problem as I see it.
We removed an OLD glowworm with gravity HW and pumped CH, one half of the properties upstairs radiators did not get any more than luke warm for the last few years... so I put some cleaner in the old system a few weeks before we started, and then flushed the system with mains water until it was running clear. (a good while>>)

INstalled the new boiler, it has flow and return in 22mm from downstairs until it where hte old circs reduced to 15mm upstairs. Also fitted 15 new trv locvkshield sets.
Anyway, on running it up, one of the furthest radiators away from the boiler would only get luke warm, I have balanced the system to within an inch of its life and also shut them all down except this one and it gets roasting, so its not blocked or an airlock.

I have installed a magnaclean on the system which has been emptied 3 times during running and flushing, so the system is getting much cleaner!!

The crux of it is if I turn the TRVs on the 2 nearest rads down to number 3 (as opposed to 5) then this pesky last rad gets to a proper (equal) temp. If they are on 5 though (with the rest of the house) it only gets luke warm.

I am starting to think the upstairs runs are too long in 15mm>> as the houses were originally piped to be individual systems in 15mm?
i would say the house width is 20 metres total run across the house, and its a standard 2 storey house height, 2 bedrooms each side.

I was thinking if the customer is realy bothered about the last rad, that the only option would be to extend a backbone of 22mm across the top of the house, thereby meaning the flow across there would increase...

Is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Is it possible to increase the pump rate on the 831 for example? I couldnt see it as a setting in level diagnostics tho!

thanks

Last edited:
Remove all of the TRV heads and balance just using the lockshields, the first few rads will probably need to be almost closed.

You could also look at matching the pump and fit a secondary circulating pump.

Last edited:
Remove all of the TRV heads and balance just using the lockshields, the first few rads will probably need to be almost closed.

You could also look at matching the pump and fit a secondary circulating pump.
Cheers mate,
I had all TRVs left on fully open for balancing.I only used the lockshields, I balanced it to within an inch of its life and then it was the TRV tweaking in an attempt to get it to balance.
An additional pump is a good idea!! What do you mean by matching the pump? any input on how I would do it on a combi?

thanks

Sounds like you have undersized your pipework.
Yes, it does indeed sound like it undersized..!! however it's not my pipework that is undersized... it is pre-existing pipework that the customer didnt want changing due to cost, and we were hoping it would be sufficient.
i have advised him to cure the problem we will need to run a bacbone of 22mm along the spine of the upstairs of the house (where the issue is) so it will be up to him to decide if he wants this doing.
Seems a lot of expense for keeping one TRV on 3.5 instead of 5 though..!!!

id use a bit of inch on that systemthen split to2 x 22
surly if it works with the trv on 3.5 it should work with the ls shut down he same

Last edited:
id use a bit of inch on that systemthen split to2 x 22
surly if it works with the trv on 3.5 it should work with the ls shut down he same

that makes a lot of sense, I will try further tweaking those two lockshields!!! Will let you know if it works!!! cheers mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I shall take a look in that case and...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Back