joining 10mm copper pipes | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss joining 10mm copper pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

need to repair a 10mm pipe running from oil tank to boiler ? will use compression fittings but what additional jointing method do you recommend?

cheers

dave

Personally I always use Stag paste (or other jointing compound suitable for oil) but if you don't have any then a few turns of PTFE round the olive would do.

Don't overtighten or you will squash the pipe.

NEVER soldered fittings!

Last edited:
No, oil lines must never be soldered! (states in OFTEC regulations). Fuel oil can attack soldered joints.

Yes, Stag is designed for oil and water.

Last edited:
If there is a fire it will melt the solder, joint then fails and adds fuel to the fire. That is what I was told today.

not doubting this, but surely the same with gas, i thought oil "rotted" the solder (perhaps i am doubting what was said!!!!!!!!)

Ifs and buts eh?
Dont cross the road you may get run over by a bus, dont fly abroad you may get stuck there if a volcano goes off, we are really entering cooku land now!

You also require oil pipe sleeves as a straight compression joint doesn't meet OFTEC rules.

Are we getting mixed up with PEX oil lines? Must be the special metal PEX insert for the green pipe (don't use Hep20 ones)

Should be non-manipulative (flared) joints underground if you are using soft copper.

Last edited:
You also need a steel insert if using brass olives on an oil line as these are harder than copper the pipe can be crushed.

Are we getting mixed up with PEX oil lines? Must be the special metal PEX insert for the green pipe (don't use Hep20 ones)

Should be non-manipulative (flared) joints underground if you are using soft copper.

manipulative joints - whpes are the flared type - but im sure it was just a typo matey, i know you know your stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Doesn’t really answer any of my questions but...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
So getting back to my original question, do...
Replies
Views
Another vote for copper. All copper tube is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Best you contact Daikin and see what they say...
Replies
Views
Back