joining soil pipe old to new | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss joining soil pipe old to new in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats the best solution regarding old metal (iron) soil pipe, when renewing sections,is there any thing suitable out there to join these sections together,i've came across them were the've been botched up and leak.

whats the best solution regarding old metal (iron) soil pipe, when renewing sections,is there any thing suitable out there to join these sections together,i've came across them were the've been botched up and leak.
Timesaver couplings are neat, tidy and a good seal or traditional cast with pipe and socket, run the joints with a caulking rope called PC4AF wetted with water. You can buy caulking tools to help you get the twisted rope into the socket, or flatten about 100mm on one end of a piece of copper and use the tube end as a handle and the flattened end to caulk the PC4AF into the joint. Keep the rope twisted and hold it tight as you knock it in.
Once all the rope is in the joint, wet it thoroughly and once dry it sets like Asbestos cement although it doesn't contain any asbestos and is both solid and watertight.

Please don't use molten lead unless you know what you're doing.

You can now buy cast iron with a ring seal socket too, but it's very expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did one a couple of weeks ago. Cut the cast flush with the ground and used a fitting that looks a lot like a standard pan connecter which fitted into the cast and left a pushfit socket for renewing the soil pipe in plastic. Not sure what its called or where the bloke I was working for got it from (Maybe Jewsons or Graham) but it did a cracking job

Did one a couple of weeks ago. Cut the cast flush with the ground and used a fitting that looks a lot like a standard pan connecter which fitted into the cast and left a pushfit socket for renewing the soil pipe in plastic. Not sure what its called or where the bloke I was working for got it from (Maybe Jewsons or Graham) but it did a cracking job
B&Q sell them. Multi-connectors they're called but only available for 110mm soil not 82mm. First length of pipe going from drain was traditionally cast iron as it was harder to break it than plastic.

this sounds good more info required, if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Poly pipe gap-filling cement will be great.
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
Should have added in, naturally there will be...
Replies
Views
G
Need to remove the boxing could be a bad boss...
Replies
Views
Back