Keeping powertools safe from theives | Plumbing Tools | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Keeping powertools safe from theives in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Just heard recently about another mate in the trade who's had about £1200 worth of powertools stolen from his van, this is after hearing my sparky has had his van broke into 4 times now and lost all his tools each time.

I was chatting to a neighbour today (policeman) and he said the best thing you can do is take the serial numbers down off the tools and also mark all your tools visibly with company name etc on the case aswell and take pictures of them.

He says the amount of times he's had guys tell the police they've seen their tools in cash convertors but cant prove they are theirs.

Try not to leave tools in their cases in your van, hide them. Theives want to smash and grab and get their heroin within the hour.

Don't make it easy for them!

you need bait!.

as said, never leave the tool in the case.
replace with a brick and place the cases in a easy to grab place then put your power tools out of sight or under something.
keep one brick in the cab and use about 1/2-1 hour later when they come back after realising.

you need bait!.

as said, never leave the tool in the case.
replace with a brick and place the cases in a easy to grab place then put your power tools out of sight or under something.
keep one brick in the cab and use about 1/2-1 hour later when they come back after realising.

Use lead pipe - we're plumbers not brickies!

Yes the ultra violet pens are a good idea, I've used them on my PS3, TV, DVD player etc but I use a soldering iron to mark all my tools, if I were a theif I'd think twice about talking them as I'd have problems selling in the pawn shops. Only be able to sell for £10 each to bloke down pub etc.

Aslo I keep a claw hammer under the driver seat.

People are getting more desperate as times are getting harder.
Powertools are always an easy target and are a worry sometimes.
In my van as i write this is ( i loaded it up earlier for tommorow) are a rigid 300 powerdrive and all the bits,dies, stand etc, hilti T76, marcarist core drill and various diamond bits, milwaukee hd28, AEG??? sds, AEG 14v cordless x 2, Metabo jigsaw, Makita recip saw, Dewalt rip snorter, 2 tranni's, 2 x 110 extensions, a 240 extension, 3 kits of tools and probably around a grand of fittings and a big dug:lol:

and a couple of makita grinders, 3 yella vests and a wireless too :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
a bit over the top to change a tap washer tamz?

Nice bit of work on tomorrow for a good amount of bucks but if i told you what it was i would need to kill you :lol:

marking tools is to late when there already knicked imo?.

The trick is to catch and mark the "tools" before they get out the gate. That is where the early warning system....the dug (dog in English) comes in and earns his keep:evil:

Whatever you do get those serial numbers down.

I was is cash convertors the other day looking at DVD's and I saw a Paslode nail gun in its box for about £220. I can't say for certain it was nicked but it really looked like it.

I wonder what the pawn shop would do in these cases? I mean if you COULD prove they were yours with serial numbers etc then would they just hand them over?

Would they be done for receiveing stolen goods?

Last edited:
images

i never leave tools in my van...no way...you ask for trouble...I do numerous trips to get them inside....bloody killer but "c'est la vie bud!" I'd rather they nicked my van than them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to another job in the dark yesterday. Couldn't be bothered locking the van as it only means I've only got to find the keys once (when I'm leaving) instead of everytime I require another tool/fitting.

Mind you, the van seemed to go much faster on the way back home - never thought to look in the back ...

Whatever you do get those serial numbers down.

I was is cash convertors the other day looking at DVD's and I saw a Paslode nail gun in its box for about £220. I can't say for certain it was nicked but it really looked like it.

I wonder what the pawn shop would do in these cases? I mean if you COULD prove they were yours with serial numbers etc then would they just hand them over?

Would they be done for receiveing stolen goods?

customer suppose to sign form, confirming not stolen, to sell anything they have to sign up, give name and address, prooved by ID. not shops fault then.

I always worry about my tools even in my garage. The doors are notoriously easy to open and I have so many tools in there but I also keep thinking people are going to break in just for the metal more than the tools! Easier to sell.

I would hate to see tools I know are mine in a pawn shop, the pen only works if you find them again.

I shall invent the GPS trackable toolbox. Are any of you interested? iPhone app as well. Comes with a free baseball bat.

my brothers firm had a brand new merc stolen point is there was nothing in the van no tools, no scrap copper nothing they just stole the van for the parts anything in the back was a bonus. i would defo empty my van at night if i was in a city

bit late in on this thread, i dont leave power tools on the van (iveco daily) but fittings etc are there, so i went to local used office furnature place and got 2 half size tamber units...the older metal ones are sturdy and out of fashion, as companies like the new style ones, cost me 20 each. Ive bolted one to the bulk head and one over a wheel arch, fitted bolts and heavy duty padlocks......not un defeatable...but at least the theiving scum have got to work to get their ill gotten gains...and hopefully the alarm will sound and ill get to introduce em to the scaffold pole off cut that just happens to be lying in the road!!!!!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Re: 2015 answer for the 2013 question on CRM's...
Replies
Views
Masood
M
Back