Kitchen Sink won't drain. | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Kitchen Sink won't drain. in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, I am a basic home DIYer with limited knowledge looking for some advice.

We have a sink in our utility that has a washing machine connected into the same pipes. The sink is constantly getting backed up. Worse when the washing machine is draining but will start to back up with the tap just being run for 30 seconds.

Plunging eases the issues a little but isnt an instant fix and the water will drain itself if just left.
I have taken apart the trap and pipework underneath the sink and there is no blockage, I have checked the drain outside that it runs into and I can see water is running freely and if I put a lot of water directly into the drain it flows away freely with no back up. To a novice like me it looks like the Trap just isnt man enough to handle the volume of water and it cannot drain itself faster than the waste water fills it so it simply backs up into the sink until its able to slowly drain away.

I have read online about possible airlocks being a problem but tbh I have no idea where to start looking with regards to that.
I have attached a photo.

FYI I have another sink in the kitchen itself which drains perfectly but is configured in exactly the same way although it has a Dishwasher attached not a washing machine.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions, this is my last resort before calling out an expert! :)

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 46
I doubt you’ve taken the pipes apart as they’re solvent weld fittings, unless you’ve renewed them? As for the trap, it’s plenty man enough, these have been around for years, it’s the stuff that goes down them that causes issues. Also your outlet pipework is running uphill from what I can see.

I’d say there’s the issue with running uphill and possibly a partial blockage.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply Shaun. That disgusting...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Any recommendations on which Brita water jug...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The bath runs freely I take it?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Will do, I shall try that. Thank you for your...
Replies
Views
Back