Kitchen tap advice needed | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Kitchen tap advice needed in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

My parents are getting on a bit and want to replace their kitchen tap with a quarter-turn alternative for ease of use (and also because the current one is dripping, and their plumber has told them it's not worth replacing the cartridges, even if spares can be found... I'm not entirely convinced, but seeing as they'd benefit from a new tap anyway, it's not worth arguing the point).

They found a tap they liked, fairly cheap (about £60), but the plumber advised them to return it as it had plastic components/connectors that wouldn't last, so they're back to square one and not sure what to do next as some of the big brands are very expensive and it's hard to know which are built to last and which aren't. So - can anyone advise please on brands / ranges to look out for, so they can get something decent and durable? Are the likes of Bristan, Franke, Grohe, Hansgrohe & Roca usually worth the money (guess it depends on the individual model)?

Just to complicate matters, they don't like a normal chrome finish and instead want something like a brushed steel, but avoiding anything nickel-plated (due to contact allergy). Budget-wise they might stretch to £100 & something (but not the fancy £200-400 models I've seen around).

My parents are getting on a bit and want to replace their kitchen tap with a quarter-turn alternative for ease of use (and also because the current one is dripping, and their plumber has told them it's not worth replacing the cartridges, even if spares can be found... I'm not entirely convinced, but seeing as they'd benefit from a new tap anyway, it's not worth arguing the point).

They found a tap they liked, fairly cheap (about £60), but the plumber advised them to return it as it had plastic components/connectors that wouldn't last, so they're back to square one and not sure what to do next as some of the big brands are very expensive and it's hard to know which are built to last and which aren't. So - can anyone advise please on brands / ranges to look out for, so they can get something decent and durable? Are the likes of Bristan, Franke, Grohe, Hansgrohe & Roca usually worth the money (guess it depends on the individual model)?

Just to complicate matters, they don't like a normal chrome finish and instead want something like a brushed steel, but avoiding anything nickel-plated (due to contact allergy). Budget-wise they might stretch to £100 & something (but not the fancy £200-400 models I've seen around).
Your plumber might well be correct regarding plastic and rubber components which are known to become porous and harbour bugs such as legionella...NHS England has de listed rubber cored braided flexible connections for just these reasons. centralheatking

Your plumber might well be correct regarding plastic and rubber components which are known to become porous and harbour bugs such as legionella...NHS England has de listed rubber cored braided flexible connections for just these reasons. centralheatking
I think he was purely coming from a durability point of view but interesting to know there's a safety/health aspect too... I wonder how long it will take for the market to catch up with that or whether some companies will go on using such plastic components regardless. Meanwhile, seems like a good opportunity for brands to make a selling point of using preferable materials. Meanwhile the difficulty is knowing which manufacturers are using what (especially if ordering online).

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yes, but you have it already! You should be...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Bristan is usually my first choice for taps...
Replies
Views
  • Question
OK, I'm spotting a theme here :) Thanks...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Dear ShaunCorbs, Merry Christmas to you and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you so much. I am now officially out of...
Replies
Views
Back