Knocking in pipes - stops when stopcock off | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Knocking in pipes - stops when stopcock off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there - I have an issue with my pipes that I am hoping someone can advise on (even if it's just to tell me to call out a plumber!).

I can hear a knocking noise in my pipes, in particular in the area near the boiler and in the bathroom. It persists when the boiler is turned off (even when I turn it off at the wall) so I am pretty sure it's not boiler related. It only stops when I completely cut off the water supply by turning off the stopcock. But it starts up again as soon as I turn the water supply back on.

I read some advice online to turn off the water supply, empty the pipes and turn it on again - but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I have also bled the radiators to no effect.

Any thoughts about other steps I can take myself before I call someone out?

In case it's relevant: house was built in the 70s and I have a Potterton combi-boiler.

Thanks

Louise

First check if there are any ball valves on toilet cisterns (or any other places ) as they can cause knocking noise.
Often simply a new washer fitted to ball valve will fix, but a modern fill valve, like Fluidmaster Pro brass tailed valve on bottom connection cisterns would work well on mains pressure

The first thing to check is your stopcock if its the loose jumper type then this could be your problem as above check all ballvalves even ones not easily visable inside toilets ect , and the securing of your pipework , best of luck kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ah perfect. Thank you!
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply and information so far...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Oh yes. You would need to turn the water off...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It well could be I have opened the stopcock...
Replies
Views
Back