Laco | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Laco in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

ShaunCorbs

Super Moderator
Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Solutions
I’ve started noticing once cleaned and fluxed after 3-5 mins you won’t be able to solder (solder won’t draw into the fitting) dissembling reveals the pipe and fitting are black eg like they haven’t been cleaned

Anyone come across this before?

Do your hands go green when your on a big job?

No as I’m always wiping anything off (have a wet cloth handy)

And I can remember collage days leaving it a good 20-30 mins before doing a mass soldering and it not being a problem

No as I’m always wiping anything off (have a wet cloth handy)

And I can remember collage days leaving it a good 20-30 mins before doing a mass soldering and it not being a problem
Maybe they change the recipe.

We always used to use powerflow and before that fluxite. Great days!

What you using to clean the copper?

Maybe they change the recipe.

We always used to use powerflow and before that fluxite. Great days!

What you using to clean the copper?

Yea was tought on power flow but found it gritty used to stick the fittings together so moved when I went to collage to Laco as it’s what they used and stuck with it

Sotch brite and the blue fitting cleaners

With kindness and the odd hobnob :D

Thought that was the main thing with Laco, it isn't corrosive and PH neutral like some others like PowerFlux. Hence why it's approved for use on Gas. I know i've never had an issue with it, and my Dad's been using it since the 1980s!

The very old Laco was very bad nearly just pure acid that stuff if not flushed used to eat through copper for fun

Just got a tin of fluxrite to try

Thought that was the main thing with Laco, it isn't corrosive and PH neutral like some others like PowerFlux. Hence why it's approved for use on Gas. I know i've never had an issue with it, and my Dad's been using it since the 1980s

Thought that was the main thing with Laco, it isn't corrosive and PH neutral like some others like PowerFlux. Hence why it's approved for use on Gas. I know i've never had an issue with it, and my Dad's been using it since the 1980s!
More a problem with excessive use in the fitting and the pipe also jobs that take along time some projects take a year or more before to filling flushing and testng out ,I had to repipe a whole hospital bungalow once 40 rads, Basins, showers, Hot - cold supplies cleaners cupboards 100 of meters of pipe took 2 of us 2 months to complete using crimp . Kop

I prefer everflux but sometimes get given laco when im subbing.
1648666845184.png

These brushes are much better then the wodden ones i find

You've just reminded me why I get on better with Fluxite. Yes, Laco goes green etc etc. Having said that, I don't usually use Laco and bought my latest tub of it nearly 20 years ago, so 1 it's old (though seems unaffected) and 2 if they've changed the formula I don't know.

Just to let you know did a test with Laco vs fluxrite overnight Laco went black / dark grey (had to re clean and new flux) fluxrite was still like new / the night before and soldered straight away normally

Didn’t notice anything different than Laco, had a different smell to Laco and a brown colour but other than nothing being self cleaning working with it is the same

If there's a tiny amount of water in the pipe, sometimes Fluxite will let you get away with it. Harder to clean off: a wet rag isn't effective if the pipe is cold. Probably doesn't flush out very easily.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You can, as suggested, top up at night/very...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I hope you are well. Need some advice...
Replies
Views
Yep I think that’s got to be the next step. I...
Replies
Views
That's galvanised box corrogated steel decking...
Replies
Views
Back