Large Oil Boiler Brand? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Large Oil Boiler Brand? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I require a new oil boiler.

Currently heating does not do attic however I would like boilers to be able to cope in future. For this reason I think it may be better to get 1 boiler now and have plumbing for another at a later date? How much more efficient would heating be with 2 boilers?

I did a rough heat loss on stelrad stars, with current heat load it comes to around 57 - 63kw with rooms at either 19c or 21c and -3c outside temperature

With attic and basement rooms added it jumps to around 89kw 19c & 99kw 21c .

Unfortunately I do not know if old boiler was any good as it was not working when I purchased the property. I Believe it is set to 74kw

Would I save much money with condensing boiler over 10 years? I believe savings are 5 - 6% however boilers are more expensive and I would need a new chimney flue which is 5m?

Im thinking 2 x 50kw boilers should be enough?

Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks

Hi, don't quote me on it, someone else will be on here soon no doubt.
Have you looked at the Grant Vortex 58/70? Bigger ones than that I feel would be more commercial.

Or the Worcester Bosch Greenstar Utility 50/70, both are pretty good, but as I say someone else will be along soon.

I would go two boilers to be honest. What sort of property is it and have you included any hot water load?

You wouldn't go too far wrong by fitting a Sime cast iron boiler, either an IR or a Rondo model. Cheap and very reliable. If you were thinking of putting in two boilers you probably wouldn't be able use your existing chimney as the diameter probably wouldn't be big enough.
Ma other good make would be a Buderus.

Just read up on the Buderus GE315, looks a nice bit of kit!
Do those bigger boilers not have to be condensing?

Fit two Worcester 32/50's.

You are a domestic premise so have to fit condensing.

I would fit two boilers then you have a backup if one breaks down. Condensing boilers are more efficient working hard so size them for what you require rather than oversize them. You can alter the outputs on them so you can increase and decrease where required. I would also zone the property. I personally would go for a grant. Worcester are bringing out a new danesmoor 2 which I think is still being tested

Two boilers. Low loss header.

have one around the 70 kw mark
the other around 45

with abit of wiring magic you can have both fire. Then onem when demand is low baby boiler can serve as the top up by itself

my only thought is how many rooms/rads does this property have that requires this rather commercial sized boiler?

You wouldn't go too far wrong by fitting a Sime cast iron boiler, either an IR or a Rondo model. Cheap and very reliable. If you were thinking of putting in two boilers you probably wouldn't be able use your existing chimney as the diameter probably wouldn't be big enough.
Ma other good make would be a Buderus.

Or chappee/potterton/baxi NXR2 with riello G10, the buderus GE315 is a lovely wee boiler too.

Just read up on the Buderus GE315, looks a nice bit of kit!
Do those bigger boilers not have to be condensing?

It is, and no they don't. They usually burn 35sec.

my only thought is how many rooms/rads does this property have that requires this rather commercial sized boiler?

Lots.

Need some feedback on property size etc as heat loss calcs might be off. Might find out that a 19kw will do the business :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes property is very big

Currently 47 radiators on 2 floors.
Old Property with various extensions 1500 ish build. Thick Stone Walls throughout.

There is no hot water linked to boilers. But would like boiler to cope for 5 baths. Currently hot water is supplied via electricity and small hot water tanks next to bathrooms.

Heating is via 2 zones of 2" Iron Piping
and the 2 largest loss rooms have Gate valves

Or chappee/potterton/baxi NXR2 with riello G10, the buderus GE315 is a lovely wee boiler too.

It is, and no they don't. They usually burn 35sec.

Lots.

Why do these large boilers seem to run on sec35? Its more expensive than sec28 which residential boilers use.

Are the rads cast iron and whats the average size?

for that matter are you open to quotes from forum members?

Why do these large boilers seem to run on sec35? Its more expensive than sec28 which residential boilers use.

Higher calorific value. To get the same heat output from 28sec you'd need to increase nozzle size and pump pressure thereby increasing throughput and burning more oil.

Not cost efficient at all.

You've also answered your own question, you've moved outside of the realm of domestic boilers and into the dark depths of small commercial.

Last edited by a moderator:

Government tax breaks due to the fact they produce less sulphur dioxide etc which causes acid rain. Only the uk and Ireland use 28sec, the rest of Europe uses 35 and the EU is trying to force us that way.

Think about additional controls - zoning, programmable thermostats, loft insulation etc etc as well as the boiler.

Hoval are top notch boilers - not cheap but the dogs danglies and knock spots off the other brands. Would be my choice.

UltraOil® (50-80) | Hoval

You get what you pay for.

Think about additional controls - zoning, programmable thermostats, loft insulation etc etc as well as the boiler.

Hoval are top notch boilers - not cheap but the dogs danglies and knock spots off the other brands. Would be my choice.

UltraOil® (50-80) | Hoval

You get what you pay for.

Looking at the 16/35

now THAT looks like a premium bit of kit

Hoval are lovely bits of kit. Especially when they're matched with Riello burners.

I like their STU range of biomass too.

Have you fitted one of the STU biomass boilers? Got a biomass boiler to fit in a couple of months. Person who wants it is happy to pay a good price for a premium product.

We put a Hoval UltraOil in for a country inn and restaurant a couple of years ago and it can happily cope with the coldest of winter weather and provide water for the guest bathrooms, showers and the kitchens. You nearly always need a condensate pump as well due to the draw off level of the condensate.

The biggest boiler I have been involved in fitting was a Cochran Clansman, for a swimming pool, spa and leisure centre.

Last edited:
I've got 6 of them I look after, Hoval come out and build them up, we just piped them up.

They're a bit labour intensive as there's no walking ash tray in them, so the end user needs to give them a declink every few days. ID fan belts last about 9-12 months.

The one thing I don't like about them is the arches. They typically last 3-5 years, cost about £80-100 per section and have 10 sections.

I'm guessing the house is some sort of estate house or the like

Do you have access to timber if so you could go for a gasification log boiler or wood chip

If you have a business address at property could maybe get it in commercial rhip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
The only pump found so far is fitted next to...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back