Laying pipe in concrete? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Laying pipe in concrete? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi everyone,

I have a customer who needs a flow and return pipe run in their concrete floor for their hallway radiator. The current pipes are surface mounted but due them changing the position of the door they now need running in concrete. The only problem I am having is how to run it so I do not have any plastic pipe or a fitting on show in the hallway where it comes up out of the concrete? But do not see how I can do this and comply with water regs of no fittings under concrete? Any ideas how can do this but still do a clean and neat job?

Thanks

I would be tempted to sleave it, even if you use copper. But especially if its plastic running through it.

Copper pipe covered in foam pipe insulation with taped joints, will give it good protection and insulate it.

Ok thanks, I was intending to use copper and just protect it but done some reading up and water regs say it needs to be easily replaceable, so thought this only left plastic option through conduit. But will go with copper option, would i Need to use a certain type of insulation that isn't porous? Otherwise won't the lime just seep through to the copper?

Thanks for your responses

Get pre coated or use denso tape. Make sure you lagg pipes for thermal losses. Concrete will steal heat very quickly.

so what is the issue with that?

The issue with this is if I was to adhere to water regs of not having fitting under concrete I would need to have a push-fit or compression couple on show above ground in the hallway and don't really want that as doesn't look the best.

Thanks
vince

Didn't think so, thanks ermintrude, been very helpful.

i will go with copper pipe and some armaflex insulation I think and just thoroughly test it before screeding.

thanks everyone

Make sure insulation is 50mm below surface / minimum. Also armour flex won't protect pipe from lime that's job of preacoat or denso.

Is plastic coated copper any good?
then armour flex?
cheaper with denso tho. I love denso me

Don't do what a plumber near me did....
Lovely big house newly renovated. All ground floor heating pipes under newly tiled floor.
Plumber sleeved/protected the pipework with a plastic gas sleeve type thing. All pipework covered with it, must have been a nightmare to get on. Until.... leaks started appearing. A tile is removed to make a repair. When heating is put back on, another leak.... and so on for a couple of weeks! Turns out this sleeving wasn't letting the pipes expand enough and it was expanding on the joints instead. No idea why he did it the silly man, must have taken him an age to get it all sleeved. The whole of the downstairs had to be repiped - exposed this time, I think. Actually i wouldn't know as the buggers never had me to sort it

As you said, I would use pex in conduit terminating at a box then copper or sleeved tails up to rad. Pipes replaceable as per regs! And looks good above floor.

just done a bungalow all pipes under floor,friggin nightmare left heating working for 4 days though before I densoed pipes,could not go for 10mm plastic as rads were too big..

thanks for everyones help and advice, i have now done the job with copper, denso and pipe insulation. all went well,but found out just how messy and tricky denso can be to work with :). i will try and put some pics up of the job so you can comment on it.

thanks again

Get the denso hot, it's a real treat

Haha yeah I found that out as tested it hot before screeding over pipes, had great fun trying to put denso round the joints I had left open after I had finished testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have you got any photos to share of your...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Any thoughts on this bottle gully arrangement?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am just catching up on some threads...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
Thank you. Good to hear this from someone who...
Replies
Views
TAGolko
T
Back