Lead soil stack | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Lead soil stack in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys any of you come across a lead soil stack. I have to boss in a macerator waste, but not sure if I can with this - God knows what size it is . . .

Looks about 100 years old!!

Just drill a small hole say 10 mm in pipe at position required. Using the chuck end of a drill bit, put it in the hole and tap it with hammer to widen with a bias towards yourself. Creating a raised socket effect the size of intended waste. Then bell the end out a bit. Using a knife/shave hook/rasp clean the area ready to solder using plumbers metal (60/40 lead and tin) clean and tin copper pipe and wipe a joint.
There will be wiped joint already on the soil somewhere that should give you a clue. It normally about £100 to carry out this work £80 for knowing how and a score for doing it. Good Luck

img001.jpg

This might help

That victorian plumber fellow has a real skill. By the look of the picture, he can make the join by feel alone, as he can't see the pipe.

Looks like he has made the hole with a broken off elephants tusk. Very resourceful.

Used to call it a bent pin. To make the hole you use a tarfting tool (Had a screw end and tappered cutter) Still got mine tucked away in my lead tools box.

jesus - thanks tho guys. Didn't realise I was going to have to use an elephant tusk though!

Only one prob, the pipe i wish to join is going to a 22mm plastic one for a saniflo bog. Not sure I can wipe in that one, even If i knew how . . .

Might have to reconsider my options.

Maybe the custard will let me replace it - must be worth a few hundred squid from the scrap yard!

Tin up the end of some22mm copper pipe and wipe a joint on to the stack. Then fit a 3/4"F/male iron X Copper on to the pipe and convertion fitting to plastic, I think you may even get away with a 22mm speed fit.

if its above the other appliances id be tempted by a silcon wiped joint
if below you can get a self locking plastic boss although i havent seen one for a few years

Last edited:
Simple job what is wrong with you all? :) :)

Just lead told you how Plumbers do it. And you can get a short brass ferrule to wipe in, then a converter fitting to PVC. And its quite legal to do. Being fair of course if you ain't done this kind of work before it can be very expensive if you start burning holes in the lead soil stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Yes it’s doable but I suspect it wouldn’t be...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I think its a case of stick with the...
Replies
Views
I got a Floplast boss strap from Screwfix...
Replies
Views
If the coupling fits, then no need for what I...
Replies
Views
Back