Leak from combi boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leak from combi boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxi

Hi all,

I have a Baxi Combi 105e boiler that is leaking heating system water from the diverter valve. This first started some months ago so I had my usual plumber over and he changed the diaphragm. However since then, it has continued to leak from the back underside of the valve, where there is what looks like a release hole. The leak is now a continuous drip and I am constantly having to top the pressure back up.

For reasons unknown to me, my usual gas engineer kept failing to turn up to have another look, so today I got a new guy to come check it out.

My concern is that he is trying to make a bigger job of it than is neccessary... he says the boiler needs a service (which I agree with as it hasn't had one in the 4 years that I've been at this property). But he also said that the flue is not installed correctly as it should slant upwards slightly towards the outside wall (flue runs sideways to the right of boiler to exit external wall). He says he spotted it straight away and is surprised it hasn't been spotted before. My understanding is that the exhaust flue runs inside the outer flue and that should be slanted upwards slightly but he can't tell that it isn't just be looking at the external part, which looks horizontal to me. He says he wants to come back tomorrow to carry out a CO test, etc, before he starts throwing expensive parts at it, in case it isn't worth it, in which case we would need a new boiler if it fails the test.

My feeling is that it just needs a service, and the leaking diverter valve fixed or replaced. Am I correct? And is the leak in the valve an easy fix? Would it not just be the diaphragm sitting incorrectly , or something similar?

Attachments

• 20160105_194155.jpg
    20160105_194155.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 33
This plumbing forum will not provide advice to anybody with regards to boiler repairs or any other form of gas plumbing without you first providing us with your Gas Safe Registration number in a thread - for very obvious reasons. If you're not qualified to touch gas, you should stay well clear of trying to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Back