Leaking bathroom basin | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking bathroom basin in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kev63

My bathroom basin has started to leak from the slip nut, after some advice really:

Complete trap assembly i've took off basin
image.jpg

slip nut that is leaking:
image_1.jpg

Waste pipe and chrome basin pipe:
image_2.jpg

The problem seems to be where the chrome basin pipe connects to the slip nut on the trap. I've tried max tightening, not tightening too much and even untightening completely and trying to realign the thread better. All results still cause leaks from where the slip nut meets the chrome basin pipe however.

Is the issue due to the trap being plastic and and the pipe being chrome or is it just a faulty slip nut? I plan on going to B&Q tonight to buy a whole new trap assembly but thought the chrome to plastic thing might be an issue and/or if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this. I don't want to buy a whole new assembly you see to have the same issue. Washer on the slip nut looks fine by the way however i can't remove this part to have a better look.

Any advice appreciated :)

Are you sure it's leaking at the nut, it's not uncommon to have a leak where the waste passes thro the basin and water trickles around the thread down to the nut.

If it is the trap to waste seal, ditch the O ring and wrap PTFE tape around where the seal was.
Check the bottom of the waste where it seals to the trap to see if it's smooth

Buy a MacAlpine basin trap. There are better quality than anything you will buy from B&Q. The rubber O ring is better & it also has a longer spigot lip that goes inside of the waste to create a better seal.

Are you sure it's leaking at the nut, it's not uncommon to have a leak where the waste passes thro the basin and water trickles around the thread down to the nut.

If it is the trap to waste seal, ditch the O ring and wrap PTFE tape around where the seal was.
Check the bottom of the waste where it seals to the trap to see if it's smooth

Nothing to do with the waste pipe or waste seal mate. I've watched it and wrapped each part with kitchen towl and its the slip nut that connects the sink to the trap that gets wet and starts leaking. Obviously the trap has to fill somewhat but after the tap has been running for awhile, leaking occurs. The images I uploaded probably don't help as they seem to be rotated the incorrect way.

It occured to me it may be due to the chrome sink pipe and the slip nut being plastic. Maybe it just doesn't have a great seal being 2 different materials. Would PTFE tape help here - From my reading online it seems that it isn't need on plastic parts, however this is half plastic half chrome i guess.

Buy a MacAlpine basin trap. There are better quality than anything you will buy from B&Q. The rubber O ring is better & it also has a longer spigot lip that goes inside of the waste to create a better seal.

Waste seal isn't an issue here mate, it's the seal connecting the trap to the sink. Where can I buy these parts though if they are superior? Problem is i have no idea what size my part is so i was planning to take it to B&Q and just replace it like for like with a similar part. It's just inspecting of my part however it looks totally fine so thought id get advice here before purchasing a part I may not have too. To me, my current part looks new and the bathroom suite is fairly new too (under a year old).

Screwfix sell them.

Who installed the bathroom? Did they not provide 12month warranty?

Screwfix sell them.

Who installed the bathroom? Did they not provide 12month warranty?

Bought the house renovated, guy was a handy man so presumed he's done it himself. Bathroom seen no heavy use since so probably never came apparent. Not a massive issue anyway and im hoping its an easy fix.

Its possibly the chrome pipe is a fraction smaller than the trap was designed for there are some over sized rubbers for this but usually a good wrapping with ptfe tape will work

Its possibly the chrome pipe is a fraction smaller than the trap was designed for there are some over sized rubbers for this but usually a good wrapping with ptfe tape will work

Thanks mate. Will see if i can find some at the local b&q and hopefuly resolves the issue.

Why bother getting more B&Q tat, just go to local plumbers merchant and buy a decent McAlpine trap, cant believe how much time people waste running around trying to save a few pence, you have come on here asking for advise and still want to buy cheep bits, so why bother asking if you are not going to listen ,

The cheapest remedy may be to change the sealing washers

I cant seem to get the washer off the slip nut mate, its like its built in. Am i missing one? I noticed on the slip nut for the waste pipe there were 2 loose washers (one black and one nude) but not of the sort for the sink hole to trap.

McAlpine Antisyphon Bottle Trap 32mm White | NoLinkingToThis

McAlpine Antisyphon Bottle Trap 40mm White | NoLinkingToThis

Only 2 i could find that look similar to what I have. Now i need to figure out what size i need... will try my local screwfix tommorow.

McAlpine Antisyphon Bottle Trap 32mm White | NoLinkingToThis

McAlpine Antisyphon Bottle Trap 40mm White | NoLinkingToThis

Only 2 i could find that look similar to what I have. Now i need to figure out what size i need... will try my local screwfix tommorow.

32mm....

Went to screwfix and the PTFE was so cheap the guy recommended I used that first. I took the trap with me and he said he can't see that causing issues. I've applied the PTFE tape and the leaking seemed to stop until today.

Now that the chrome pipe is covered with white tape, i used some coloured dye to see where the leak was coming from:

photo.jpg

It now looks like the leak is coming from the big black rubber seal going off the blue water running pattern.

Easy way to fix this chaps? I can't seem to loosen / tighten this part by hand.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 21
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 20
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 20
Jesus... Stop mucking around with ptfe, cheap tat and buy a McAlpine 1 1/4 Bottle trap. You'll know the difference straight away in fitting it (only cost u less than £10) if you dont cross thread it it will be fixed first time!!

Btw he meant the PTFE on the washer not the waste outlet lol .... Diy'ers...

Went to screwfix and the PTFE was so cheap the guy recommended I used that first. I took the trap with me and he said he can't see that causing issues. I've applied the PTFE tape and the leaking seemed to stop until today.

Now that the chrome pipe is covered with white tape, i used some coloured dye to see where the leak was coming from:

View attachment 14329

It now looks like the leak is coming from the big black rubber seal going off the blue water running pattern.

Easy way to fix this chaps? I can't seem to loosen / tighten this part by hand.

Thanks mate, picked this part up today and sink is now right as reign :) Finally all sorted.

photo.jpg

Jesus... Stop mucking around with ptfe, cheap tat and buy a McAlpine 1 1/4 Bottle trap. You'll know the difference straight away in fitting it (only cost u less than £10) if you dont cross thread it it will be fixed first time!!

Btw he meant the PTFE on the washer not the waste outlet lol .... Diy'ers...

If you read the thread, you would know the trap wasn't the issue. PTFE was applied to the thread as it is meant to be. I agree it might of been applied too much in height but it was simply because I didn't mark where the slip nut would sit. Why you would apply PTFE tape to a washer as you have suggested I do not know and would not know. I might be a DIY'er but there is nothing wrong with that dude so grow up and if you aren't going to help people who ask for advice, best not to post. You're only degrading this forum and making yourself look like an idiot. Of course, this is all my opinion :)

If this is still going on.......get a plumber in!!

It is now fixed - thanks for your advice however. I would never of thought of calling a plumber...

I now have the sense of acomplishment fixing it myself and guessing I've saved a fair few quid in the process.

It is now fixed - thanks for your advice however. I would never of thought of calling a plumber...

I now have the sense of acomplishment fixing it myself and guessing I've saved a fair few quid in the process.

Course you've saved money, after all fuel's free isn't it?

Course you've saved money, after all fuel's free isn't it?

Fuel? I prefer to drink water. What is it with you people and pointless posts on this forum? I guess if I need advice in the future I know where to avoid. Good luck boosting your post count - I can only guess that's what you are trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Only way to find out as above mcalpine make...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks guys, it seems as if as above said it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Turn the waste fitting 45 so the angled...
Replies
Views
Glad your sorted
Replies
Views
Back