Leaking cistern feed. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking cistern feed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

av monkey

Today i replaced the cistern flapper diaphram. Never done anything like this before but im fairly practicaly minded. I fitted a new o-ring kit as the toilet is a closed couple type and the original o-ring was decayed. Everything works fine now and flushes with one press of the handle;)
Problem i have now is that the water feed pipe is leaking. There is a service valve on the supply pipe with a short bit of pipe comeing out the top. I think the problem is that with the new o-ring between the pan and cistern is new and thicker than the old one. The plastic thread sticking out the bottom of the cistern from he ballcock to the supply pipe is only just long enough to reach he pipe out the top of the service valve and with the taller 0-ring the whole thing does not quite tighten down enough for the plastic thread to go over the pipe from the service valve.
Ive even tightened up one wing nut more than the other so the cistern is angled down to one side to allow the plastic part to go over the service valve pipe a little more. But after tightening the nut onto the thread im getting weeping. The plastic threaded part was cut roughly at an angle(not by me was already this way). So although it was not leaking before now its not sitting down as far its leaking from this area. Should i buy a new ballcock assembly and recut the down pipe with more thread?
Any advice how to sort this is very welcome. Thought i had done a good job for a novice now this. Thanks again

Yes , the ballvalve would only have been cut off cos at sometime someone had mashed the thread by cross threading it , replace it , do not cut it and don,t tighten the backnut up untill you have the feed pipe connected (uncrossed) or you could mash the thread as well:)

I wonder how the fibre washer sealed in the first place with the tail sawn off at a crazy angel.

Or was it a 1/2 female iron connector? (not the one with the spinning nut).

Thanks for prompt replys guys,
Thats what i was wondering. How could it have sealed in the first place without a flat end? I remember it was not done up very tight when i released it and as the nut fell away i could see the thread was pushed over the end of the copper part from the service valve approx 5-10 mm. I cant get that far over now i have a new larger syphon pan o-ring. I can only get approx 2mm. Can only think of 2 ways i might sort it. Buy a new ballcock hopefully with a longer threaded portion. Or dismantle it all again :( and cut off some of the 0-ring so the cistern sits lower anyway. I would prefer the former cos i would not have to dismantle it all again. But would only be worth it if the new ballvalve has a longer thread on it.
Sorry i don't know what a 1/2 female iron connector is. I just tried to put it back how it was.

Should i buy one of those fluidmaster bottom inlet valves rather than like for like with the old one? On the b&q website they look like they have longer threads on the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-3-8-in-C...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hand tight plus maybe half a flat (30 degrees)
Replies
Views
C
I'm trying to pipe rainwater into my cistern...
Replies
Views
Cody l
C
Back