leaking from boiler enclosure. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss leaking from boiler enclosure. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carnegstar

So here is my question about my leaky ferolli boiler.

The installer of my home boiler returned to disconnect the said ferolli boiler from the wall whilst i fabricated a better mounting panel (chipboard)
that covered up some holes behind it.

The small boiler has been great in my two bed flat and was serving me really well up till when this modification took place.
Basicly i have noticed water dropping from the box since realising it has destroyed the circuit board and timer inside the front panel.

The leak did not appear to be there whilst i was searching for new parts so it makes me think its condensation droplets rather than water pressure leaks.
and a look inside the box let me see rusty marks around the flue which makes me wonder if its linked to this, as its been three weeks since it was moved off the wall

Hope someone can help

Thanks again

Gregg

sorry gregg but ferrolis dont live long i have changed a few after 2-3 years because the divertor explodes drowning the pcb

My boiler is only 12months old and there has not been any explosions yet

The `room sealed` box as its described in the manual. I removed the cover, exposing the burner and fan and noticed the flue
I can see up inside the outer flue section and this seems to be where the water is as its collecting at various points below here

call in a gas safe registered engineer before you kill yourself,no disrespect intended but you should not be removing combustion doors

call in a gas safe registered engineer before you kill yourself,no disrespect intended but you should not be removing combustion doors

I feel perfectly confident in removing the cover which is only held on with four self tapping screws, whilst the gas and electricity were shut/switched off.
I am just curious of how the boiler could be making water around this area and would like to understand for myself how this is happening

Not another I no what I'm doing even tho I'm not trained. How do you test the boiler after you have illegally removed a gas appliance combustion casing??? It's not just you that's you are putting danger it's your neighbours and anyone who enters and leave the property

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never operate or test a boiler with its combustion casing removed, i removed the casing to inspect where the leak was coming from only

So I take it you have got a fga to test for complete combustion and you understand how to check that you haven't pinched the seal while putting the combustion case on as I said you shouldn't be touching a gas appliance without being registered

I know for sure the seal is not pinched or damaged in any way PJF.
there are two grommets, one on each lower corner of the chamber which have pipes and wires passing through, these were not seated correctly to my opinion, so i will mention this to the installer also.

I am still unsure of why the condensation is forming inside this chamber though

Fortunately most people tend to say "I did not want to harm anyone". There is a ship load of reasons why you should not remove the cover for the combustion chamber without training. Luckily on the vast majority of modern boilers this tend not to be overly critical but how do you know what type of appliance you have got in front of you without sufficient training. How would you even know that there are different types of appliances without sufficient training and how could you assess the dangers of doing so without knowing what you do and what possible inflictions can be?
You recon those regulations have been introduced just to make plumbers pay crazy money on courses and have to repeat them over and over?
I am sorry if that sound a bit rude but the above posted has not been written to amuse you or inflict you could not remove four screws but to warn of the dangers of fiddeling with gas devices.

Throwing stones down a motorway bridge does tend not to do much harm to people but one or two casualties already happened by that. Does that mean because normally nobody gets harmed you still can do so?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fully aware of the legal requirements and regulations that plumbers operate with.
I removed the same cover on the same model of boiler, whilst it was in the back of a van. I was removing its pcb and some wiring and i noticed how the cover was attached, and knew what was involved in having a look. only when i seen the drips on the case i thought i could have been the condensate hose slipped off? but the water is still dripping from the casing and all hoses are ok. it seems to be coming from up inside the flue

Well, let us say if you inspected the flue from outside and you could see a drip coming from the inner pipe then you have to assume that the seal is damaged or broken which brings you to an At Risk situation which has been "resolved" by the water shutting down the PCB/boiler.Would it have been rain water than the assumption is that the terminal is damaged or the manufacturer has made a poor design. First would again be At Risk the latter would be an indication that gas man's explanation was based on experience.Generally spoken I find the cheap to buy boilers are usually the ones that cost the customer the most in fuel and spares. And give the fitter a bad reputation even if these things are outside his hands.

I am fully aware of the legal requirements and regulations that plumbers operate with.I removed the same cover on the same model of boiler, whilst it was in the back of a van.
That still does not tell you anything about the pressures within the boiler/combustion chamber and the regulations/problems linked to this.

I think this guy is a clown what's your details mate lets see what your neighbours. Hse and gas safe have to say

Ok the installer of my boiler returned to try and fix the leak from its flue, to no success.

There is still water collecting in the bottom of the chamber then pouring out once it reaches a certain level.
There is no water going along the condensation pipe as its been disconnected

Could the condensation be passing a seal in the flue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

T
I know you must be frustrated, but as gmartine...
Replies
Views
It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
Could be the expansion relief or an overflow...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Back