Leaking hot water cylinder | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking hot water cylinder in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

U

Utilmap

From the attached photo is it possible to see if the joint and fitting is likely to be repairable and if so how.

David

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 123
Is that the hot water outlet or the tapping into cylinder coil?

Its difficult to see If its the joint or the cylinder itself leaking! Depending on age of cylinder you maybe able to repair, but when the joint has been leaking for awhile it makes it difficult to undo the old connections without causing further damage!

I would leave it until after xmas if its not leaking badly, if the cylinder is old then maybe worth changing that at the same time!

Looks like the coil connection to me. ( back nut onto cylinder).difficult to repair, when you try to tighten the back nut it splits the already perished washer ( inside the cyl) and then you have a big leak!
Like above you have 3 options.
1 leave it alone, its a very small leak.
2 have a go at tightening with a high risk of making it worse.
3 replace the cylinder.

as its christmas I would go for option 1..........

I had this happen to me one Christmas I noticed it whilst grabbing my shoes out of the airing cupboard on my way out the door for some drinks with the lads. Had a bag of plaster in the garage, quickly knocked abit of that up and smoothed it all in there. Stopped the leak and when I sold the house was still holding back the leak.

I had this happen to me one Christmas I noticed it whilst grabbing my shoes out of the airing cupboard on my way out the door for some drinks with the lads. Had a bag of plaster in the garage, quickly knocked abit of that up and smoothed it all in there. Stopped the leak and when I sold the house was still holding back the leak.

WTF, new one on me!

Not the sort of job you would want to call to late in the day to do a "nip-up"
I'd only try anything on that cylinder if I had a spare day to allow for a drain down (or 2), then when I couldn't fix the leak, fit a new cylinder
Don't know how successful a repair you could do on that, maybe a home made PTFE washer and some on the thread
But, as said above, I think it would be a job for the new year if it's not leaking too badly

Leave alone until after new year - DO NOT TOUCH IT - all the below hints are ace
my suggestion is as it is a low pressure joint - diy shops sell a type of epoxy resin in two bits rub together and apply to the outside of this join - but dry it out first with paper napkins
BUT DO NOT MOVE IT OR BASH IT - then think about a new cylinder
:92:
about £150 + vat and you will get £30 at the scrappy for old one Centralheatking
From the attached photo is it possible to see if the joint and fitting is likely to be repairable and if so how.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it then.

binning the jet blue.
have got a bag of bonding and multi finish in the garage! :biggrinjester:

When I was an apprentice we replaced some 4 inch cast pipework at a stately home. The joints were make with hemp and neat cement.

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I am looking for the simplest solution that...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
E
  • Question
Hi, I've got an unvented hot water cylinder...
Replies
Views
Elliott
E
Back