leaking hot water cylinder | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss leaking hot water cylinder in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi chaps,

Just a quick one on a leaking hot water cylinder - once a connection starts to leak , is the only option to replace the cylinder? See attached shot - the connection runs from the base of the cylinder to the bottom of the external immersion heater. As you can see it is well corroded with a build up of crusty sludge around the edge. The cylinder is 25 years old and is a Hercal with a coil running thro it.

Also if it not possible to get a replacement the same height is there much work adjusting pipes etc? Never done one before......

cheers fellas,

dave

Attachments

• Nuala's leaking hot water cylinder 001.jpg
    Nuala's leaking hot water cylinder 001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 100
New cylinder for sure. You will get one the same size I am sure, pipe work adjustments are usually the coil connections the feed and the outlet you can usually match up. Not a job for a novice but if you have done a bit of plumbing you may well manage it. To get a cylinder supplied and fitted you are looking at around £425 ex vat for a standard 450x900 indirect.

Hi. Personally i would drain down remove fitting and bush, clean area up and look for any corrosion on boss. If its intact and not gone pink in colour. Buy yourself a union type fitting Yorkshire 68/69 and or 70/71 This type allows you to tighten correctly into the cylinder and give a good joint. Compression bent C to irons are a bad choise for this application as the point of tightening is unlikly to corrospond with the direction you want the fitting to point. As a result they are under tightened or over tightened in general, causing just what you are experianceing now in the long term. Good Luck

Hi. Personally i would drain down remove fitting and bush, clean area up and look for any corrosion on boss. If its intact and not gone pink in colour. Buy yourself a union type fitting Yorkshire 68/69 and or 70/71 This type allows you to tighten correctly into the cylinder and give a good joint. Compression bent C to irons are a bad choise for this application as the point of tightening is unlikly to corrospond with the direction you want the fitting to point. As a result they are under tightened or over tightened in general, causing just what you are experianceing now in the long term. Good Luck

Yes but on a cylinder that is 25 years old it is likely to be as thin as a *** paper and when you start messing about with it then more than likely leak worse than ever. Most 900x450 cylinders are a straight swop so should be a piece of cake to do.

Plus you get a nice bit of scrap!!!:D:D:D

Hi Rod, you may well be right. If the guy has time on his side and small budget, all will be revealed if the fittings changed and the problem still arises. Its not clear if its own home or a punter. It also gave me the oppertunity to express my pet hate of the compression bent copper to iron fittings which seem the norm on both cylinders and boilers now days. Good Luck

Hi Rod, you may well be right. If the guy has time on his side and small budget, all will be revealed if the fittings changed and the problem still arises. Its not clear if its own home or a punter. It also gave me the oppertunity to express my pet hate of the compression bent copper to iron fittings which seem the norm on both cylinders and boilers now days. Good Luck

Them there compression bent copper to iron fittings are a right pain in the chuff, I only come across these in older installs and I try not to use them myself, never line up where you want them to, nearly as bad as a street elbow in a straight compression to iron fitting!! :mad:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
E
  • Question
Hi, I've got an unvented hot water cylinder...
Replies
Views
Elliott
E
  • Question
https://myenergi.info/viewtopic.php?p=87432#p87432
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the replies. The 15mm pipe teed off...
Replies
Views
Back