Leaking hot water pipe in concrete. Replacement advice needed! | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking hot water pipe in concrete. Replacement advice needed! in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Has anyone come across anything similar. Sorry there are so many questions. Many thanks in anticipation.

My daughter has moved, 5 weeks ago. The previous owners had a hive system on the Worcester-Bosch combi boiler. They replaced it with a hive thermostat and my daughter eventually got it talking to the boiler. She had hot water but no central heating. The boiler kept cycling. Plumber 1 came and couldn’t figure our what was happening. Worcester-Bosch engineer came and diagnosed leak in hot water system. Estimated as 2 litres a minute ... 20 cubic metres in 3 weeks, somewhere unnoticed, and then there was 200 cubic metres of gas that had been used.

The Boiler gave priority to hot water, so with this leak the heating couldn’t turn on the diverter valve. Engineer showed how to close hot water outlet on the boiler ... so now CH works.

I have had a look at the pipework. A mix of copper and plastic. I have located the area where I think the pipe is leaking. It’s very wet, soaking the walls. How could a pipe be leaking so much when buried in concrete? Where is the water going? Do I dig up the concrete and repair the pipe, Or put a Long new run in to bypass it? Use plastic rather than copper? I have never done water pipe plumbing. I don’t like the ugly elbows.

It seems that the mains water supply is also buried in the same location. Is this likely to corrode as well?

youve confirmed theres a water leak by checking with the water meter ?

There is no water meter. With all the taps off, and opening the hot water outlet valve on the boiler, it will fire up, and you can feel the hot water moving through the pipe. Definitely hot water moving out of the boiler when the taps are off.

you sure its not the pre heat function ? make sure the eco setting it on (turns pre heat off)

you sure its not the pre heat function ? make sure the eco setting it on (turns pre heat off)

Hankas, we tried using the eco mode. That had no effect. The two plumbers / engineers who followed confirmed that was not the issue.

Definately a huge leak under the concrete. A small weeping leak from a joint I can understand ... but 2 litres a minute!

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
  • Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
Be aware that you’ll likely require a gas pipe...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
Back