Leaking kitchen sink | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking kitchen sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Hi All
I have a white 1 1/2 plastic sink that is leaking where is appears to have corroded at the bottom. Is there anything I can do to fill it?It leaking from the half sink outlet, so unsure why it would have degraded more as is not used as much
Cheers
Betty

Sorry here is the photo!

IMG_6875.jpg

Good news is that it is unlikely to be the sink itself, most likely the watertight seal underneath is the cause.

Dear Betty,

So it looks like its leaking between the sink and the "waste" (the white plastic bit). Can you take another photo looking down into the sink from above. Is there a screw there to tighten it up. If you get hold of the waste does it move about at all in relation to the sink? When tightening any screw from above dont overdo it. If you can, take off the waste (remove grey pipes lower down first, and the overflow connection etc. ) Take the waste off then and clean it all up. If there is no rubber sealing ring then it needs some sealant. Try a non setting one first e.g. plumbers mait putty.

Roy

Ok Roy I will give it a go but as the sink is in another property I will follow your steps at the weekend
See the photo please
Will the plumbers mate putty seal it long term?

IMG_6878.1.jpg

Threads part or the plastic part the threads are fixed to might have perished.
If tightening the nut doesn’t tighten the waste, you will need to buy a new drainer waste (with overflow connection)

So I had another look at sink on Saturday. There is no screw that can be tightened or loosed from the top of sink, it just looks like you can turn the bolt with something as there are two indentations on the bolt for this.

I was unable to budge the white waste pipe from below.

So I understand I will need to get a replacement waste fitting if this is possible??, please confirm

Betty

On that type you use a socket or spanner to remove the bolt.
Waste connection should just slacken at the grey nut and you need to also undo the white nut which is probably to the overflow.

Easy fix. Remove, Clean all parts including the sink underside. Dont use any wire brush etc. a nylon pad will do the trick. Make sure its all dry, use a clear silicone and clean off excess. It could well have had an inferior washer.

You can get white strainer waste fittings from most plumbers merchants...does'nt look like an Ikea fitting (they tend to use the weird space saving waste/trap with the fat flexi hose

Similar plumbing topics

• Useful
Did you manage to solve this issue? If so...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Mike, this is where our washing machine is...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Thank you but any chance of a link or picture...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply Shaun. That disgusting...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Oh yes that’s more likely on re-reading, we’ll...
Replies
Views
Back