Leaking pressure relief valve by water meter. | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking pressure relief valve by water meter. in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

T

TheGribble

Hi all,

I've got a dripping pressure relief valve on the very odd plumbing by my water meter - the setup looks like this:
image.jpg
The cold water comes in from the mains through the large blue valve to the water meter, through the pressure gauge which reads about 3.5 bar then hits the 6 bar pressure relief valve in the top left of the picture and then p!sses out of the unconnected exit from the valve and all over the floor.

I've got a few questions about this setup - why is that pressure relief valve here, why is it just dangling over the floor, why is it leaking if the system's only at 3.5 bar and can I just remove it and cap the pipe off?

Cheers,

Ben.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 72
Hi all,

I've got a dripping pressure relief valve on the very odd plumbing by my water meter - the setup looks like this:
View attachment 24313
The cold water comes in from the mains through the large blue valve to the water meter, through the pressure gauge which reads about 3.5 bar then hits the 6 bar pressure relief valve in the top left of the picture and then p!sses out of the unconnected exit from the valve and all over the floor.

I've got a few questions about this setup - why is that pressure relief valve here, why is it just dangling over the floor, why is it leaking if the system's only at 3.5 bar and can I just remove it and cap the pipe off?

Cheers,

Ben.

The pressure relief valves be there in case of the failure or the pressure reducing valve to protect appliances but should be terminated correctly. It will be dripping due to either a defective pressure gauge/reducing valve or most probably have crud on the seating due to it previously opening. You need a plumber to look at it to be honest and replace necessary parts and install a correct termination.

Good grief, have someone over asap! Theres a waste pipe right by that prv could be simple case of putting a new fitting to allow it to discharge there (not strictly following the regs but better than letting it out all over your floor!). As wattsie mentioned it shouldnt be discharging under normal circumstances. Presence of those valves suggests you have some sort of unvented cylinder for hot water or at least an expansion vessel. Your valve is leting out water because that pressure vessel lost the air pocket, built up water pressure escaping from the pressure relief.

Last edited:
and might be worth adding a lever valve in stop tap after the meter

I think it's just shinier because I cleaned it up - when it was just dripping I wrapped it in paper to see whether it was actually venting or if the joint was leaking, half an hour later it started properly running and answered that. Calmed down a bit later, though. i actually tried replacing it last night in case the valve was sticking - identical new one started dripping exactly the same, so it looks like it might genuinely be over pressure; the metre on the PRV still never goes above 4 though?

I think it's just shinier because I cleaned it up - when it was just dripping I wrapped it in paper to see whether it was actually venting or if the joint was leaking, half an hour later it started properly running and answered that. Calmed down a bit later, though. i actually tried replacing it last night in case the valve was sticking - identical new one started dripping exactly the same, so it looks like it might genuinely be over pressure; the metre on the PRV still never goes above 4 though?

What's the blow off rated to should be on the top

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Question
Contact them again and hope you don’t get the...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, I have this as well. I called a plumber...
Replies
Views
Pritesh Patel
P
  • Question
I don't see your comments?
Replies
Views
Back