Leaking radiators | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All
I wonder if you can help please?
My tenant has just contacted me to say that the radiators in kitchen and bathroom in my flat are leaking from "the joint at one end". Boiler had a gas safety check done about 6 weeks ago and boiler was repaired due to diverter valve problem. Tenant has said she thinks radiator may have started leaking when she had hot water on. Anyone any idea why this would happen, is it possible for radiators to leak WITHOUT fiddling with radiators?
I am getting a bit suspicious as it is the 3rd thing to go wrong in 6 weeks since she has became my tenant.
:wub:
Cheers
Betty

rads can just pinhole,corrosion is the biggest cause but if the previous boiler had a plate heat exchanger fail or the filling loop left open for a long time the water will become oxygenated eventually rads will fail

you could have a leak on a radiator anytime. Cant see why a tennant would want to cause a leak, probably the tennant is eagle eyed and wants to report it to save any future damage.

The flat is about 11 years old , not sure if filling loop was left open .....didnt hang arround in getting diverter valve repaired.
Would be surprised if rads corrode that quickly in a modern flat as I have lived in old property with ancient but modern rads and did not have a problem

rads can corrod very fast, a year or two is not uncommon if the system conditions are bad.

The flat is about 11 years old , not sure if filling loop was left open .....didnt hang arround in getting diverter valve repaired.
Would be surprised if rads corrode that quickly in a modern flat as I have lived in old property with ancient but modern rads and did not have a problem
yes but rads are thinner now,they can just fail at least the tenant is telling you i deal with loads who dont give a stuff until loads more damage has been done

Ok so what does this mean, will ring plumber in morning, but please say its a small job!
System conditions AW heating? how bad can they be a new build??

was the system flushed out/cleaned when fitted? was a good corrosion inhibitor added and maintained from installation?

i have seen rads on a new build fail from corrosion after around 2 years. New radiators and pipework have contaminates in them from new and installation.

have a look at the benchmark book see if the installers have added inhibitor you may find that the rads are not leaking it could be valves or it could even be some damp from the plumber venting the rads you can never tell with tennants

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Pin hole leak on suction side of pump.
Replies
Views
  • Question
OK from what I searched it does not reduce the...
Replies
Views
It looks like a bog standard, at the moment it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
H
  • Question
Was/is this joint visible to the plumber or...
Replies
Views
Back