Leaking & rusting at side seam of a less than 18 month old radiator | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking & rusting at side seam of a less than 18 month old radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Just under 18 months ago, British Gas fitted a new combi boiler and a new radiator in my home. The radiator is an 'elite' K1 600mm x 1000mm, which was fitted in our dining room (where there was no radiator before) as part of the conversion of an existing gravity system to a combi boiler system. (The rest of the system has the original radiators that were power flushed at installation, Fernox inhibitor added too, and the system - i.e. boiler servicing etc - has all been done/maintained by BG since installation.)

Yesterday, I discovered that the aforementioned new 'elite' K1 radiator is leaking a bit from a manufacturing seam/join at the edge, high up on the thermostat side of the radiator, along which there are several patches of rust, which to my mind (but I would be grateful for your opinions on this) indicates that the radiator has a manufacturing fault. The radiator's original coating/paintwork (I have not painted the radiator myself) has bubbled with the water and rusting.

(There were other problems with the installation at the beginning, e.g. water hammer, that were eventually resolved, but suffice to say that my experience of having BG fit the combi boiler system was a bit of a nightmare!)

I have contacted BG complaints by email asking them to replace the radiator at no cost to me as I understand that under the Supply of Goods and Services Act they are supposed to supply goods of reasonable quality, which the radiator is obviously not as it has only lasted just under 18 months...I am concerned though that BG may argue that they are not liable (blind me with plumbing science and put the blame on me somehow) or that they may just want to weld/patch repair the radiator, leaving it looking like a bad dog's dinner.

I would be grateful for your opinions and experience of such matters, e.g. what they could argue to try to wriggle out of their obligations to me...And whether I should hold out for a replacement or whether a modern radiator is likely to be successfully repaired by welding and whether or not that would be an acceptable solution etc.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Biilie

They certainly wont weld it that's for sure. Do you have homecare which covers the full system? If so it will be replaced free anyway. Check their terms to see how long they guarantee their work for from installation.

Rads are normally covered for 10 years through the manufacturer BG should sort you a new one out no problem.

its a hours work like for like replacement, if I had done the original install i would get a replacement from the manufacturer and fit for nothing. Unfortunate but sometimes things like this happen.

just keep on at them to rectify it.

Hi plumber0808

Thanks very much for your reply. That's good news that there's likely to be a 10 year guarantee that BG can claim on with the manufacturer and that they should only have to provide the labour in replacing like for like.

I'll do as you suggest and keep on at them!

Biilee

Hi mfgs

Thanks very much for your reply. (Guess it would be too costly and labour intensive to weld the seam? - Not that I want it welded anyway. )

I have Homecare 200 with them - which I have had continuously since installation - but the down side to that is that I have to pay the first £50 - And, to rub salt into a wound, I was told by their rep on the phone (when I renewed it after the first year) that the number of call-outs puts up the premium for the following year, so I would essentially end up paying for/towards the replacement if I go down that route :(

Biilee

Last edited:
Keep is posted, they will prob change the first rad that leaks then blame poor water quality when another goes

Will do and thanks for the warning, kirkgas. Guess they will still argue that - about poor water quality - even though I paid for and they fitted at their suggestion a Hydroflow scale reducer and a magnetic system filter (which I am guessing might be as good as a chocolate teapot?!)

it sounds like it could be a corrosion problem, if so then the rad manufacturer will not replace the rad. If it is corrosion and BG have flushed and inhibited the system then i would be questioning how well the work was carried out and demand water samples and check done to make sure the rest of the system is not corroding too.

Either way BG have fitted the rad if the rads at fault. They've fitted a new boiler, central heating filter, flushed the heating then added inhibitor if they blame the water.

they should change the rad for nothing. As AWheating has said tell them you want the water testing as the problem might occur again.

You need to get back on to BG. As AWheating mentioned BG have undertaken the work so they should be your first port of call. If the problems down to poor workmanship (poor flush or no inhibitor) then it's down to them, likewise if its a faulty rad then BG should take this up with the manufacturer on your behalf.

Just an update as I promised to do...BG eventually came out and replaced the rusty rad, i.e. 'like for like'. The replacement, although brand new and arriving in manufacturer's packaging, has a couple of small blobby patches of paint on it at the bottom near the seam that could be concealing a defect such as rust, but we think it's much more likely to be just some extra paint - fingers crossed. (Despite what we thought was a thorough inspection we didn't see the small patches until the rad was up on the wall - presumably because they are so small - plus our eyesight isn't what it once was! :( ) Anyway, we've emailed the BG customer complaints dept saying about the patches and enclosing a photo of them and reserving our right to claim (for yet another replacement rad) at a later date should any rust appear. (We were also gratified to see that the water drained off before the fitting of the new rad was nice and clear - no bits or cloudiness - and the BG engineer added some more Fernox inhibitor, without us having to ask him.)

Thanks once again to all who gave their time to advise me about this problem. I am grateful to you.

Biilee

Last edited:
I keep hearing the same thing about stelrad at the moment. I prefer quinn or myson rads

Stelrad elites are pants. Different paint, different packaging, even the brackets are a poorer quality to the compacts which have the grills and end panels ( elites do not) had loads of rubbish rads when fitting them for a contract, paint runs, excess paint etc so not surprised.

Center rads seem good value, round tops if you flip them upside down and take the grills off, well packaged and reasonable. Only thing I don't like is the brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
The point of the forum is mainly for uk based...
Replies
Views
Burger
B
Back