Leaking Soil Stack | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking Soil Stack in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevethecadman

Hi,

I've just moved into a new house and the soil stack to the rear is leaking. I'm an enthusiastic DIYer but feel this is a job for a professional.
As you can see, there are algae at each end of the lower bend section and it appears the leak is from the bottom connection of this bend.
I have lifted the manholes and everything is clear there.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could suggest the approach (and maybe even price) I should expect from a professional. Is it a case of replacing the small section that is leaking or should I look to replacing the whole stack? If anyone operates in SE London I'd be happy to listen to quotes also.

Thanks in advance and apologies if I have breached any rules. Set me straight, I'm new around here!

Steve

IMG_1267.jpgIMG_1254.jpg

Good luck in your search, should take less than a day that. Somebody on here can surely help. Welcome along!

Hi Steve
I would try capping off the open waste tee above the off set first, give it all a bit off a clean off & then check for leaks.
I would come & have a look but to fat to get any were close enough to it, LOL
Lovely plume kit support system !

P.S what do you draw ?

Thanks guys,

Chris, I'm not sure what I should cap off or how - I can see 4 ends there. Would give it go though if that could be the problem.
I draw anything on CAD (and soon revit) but my day to day is building structures. Never dabbled much with simple stuff like gas, electrics and plumbing....

I wouldn't be able to quote for that, not thin enough, bit of an abortion really situated over your boiler flue like that, make sure your gutter doesnt block and ovwerflow or your boiler will suffer

Last edited by a moderator:
That's me out :)

Maybe Tom Cruise on a cable from the roof, mission impossible II style :)

I'd be going the same way as Chris first, give it a good clean and rid of the vegetation and then take it from there.

OK - looks like I best get out there and clean it then.
On a serious note, I'm slim-medium and I can get down there no problem. I think the picture is a bit misleading.
I'll be back with an update when it's clean, dry and probably leaking.

Thanks all.

OK - looks like I best get out there and clean it then.
On a serious note, I'm slim-medium and I can get down there no problem. I think the picture is a bit misleading.
I'll be back with an update when it's clean, dry and probably leaking.

Thanks all.
It looks like a 40mm tee which use to receive the other waste pipe which has been cut off (I take it that it is no longer used), it is right next to the black hopper head from next door.
You will need to get a 40mm coupling & a 40mm access cap, + small tub of solvent weld glue. Should just about get them in.
I think it may be coming out of this open end when in use & running down the pipe.

i would be a lot more concerned about the boiler flue position looks like its to close to the conservatory to me the soil looks like the bath /shgower waste is leaking judging by the high est bit of greenery id get up and clean it all of and see if you can find the leak

you first worry is the boiler flue is illegal and need some work tbh. the boiler probably needs moving.

Nice 1 Steve, looks like you're right. See new picture.

IMG_1268.jpg

Cleaned it all up and look likes it's the smaller dia cranked pipework form the bath+shower waste that's leaking.
Glad it's not the main stack or the toilet waste but guess it still need to be sorted. Is this an easy job if I get a plumber out? Any idea how much I would be charged?

Thanks for all your help so far.

PS What's the concern with boiler flue? It is close to the conservatory roof but is about 4 inches away from the gutter.

Boiler flue worries me more and potential problems on the rest of the system, plume managment zip tied to the stack and the external repairs looks like they have been done with plaster

for a start id say it looks:

its too close to a window (if it is a window),
to close to the boundary,
not supported correctly,
there is probably insuficient air flow across it.

whats the make and model of the boiler?

Thanks for the heads up RE the boiler flue. I have someone coming to the check boiler etc soon so that will be tackled then.

Any final ideas on getting the waste leak fixed?

Dont think its too close to a window and i think it only has to be 300mm from the boundry, agree that it needs supporting though. Bit of a rough job all round really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yes sorry :D noticed I missed liquid off
Replies
Views
Should have added in, naturally there will be...
Replies
Views
I used to do commercial buildings where...
Replies
Views
Should have it done in a day. If you’re a bit...
Replies
Views
I asked them about it. They said they only...
Replies
Views
Back