Leaking stopcock | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys....and Girls!

Hope everyone is doing well. I've posted a couple of times before and received great advice. Am hoping someone can help again?

A friend asked me a few weeks ago to change some taps for them. Did so with no problems (am still training at the mo) but when they turned the mains stopcock back on it developed a little weep I noticed. Around the nut at the base of the spindle to the main body. Not at the compression fittings to join to the pipe. However, when I drew it to their attention they said, "Oh it's only a little weep, don't worry about that now!?"

Well, as expected and warned, I think things are getting worse now as they have asked if I could sort it out. Judging by the other posts on here.......which I read religiously (think the wife is getting concerned!?). Would I be right in thinking first try a little 'nip' of the gland? nut??. If this doesn't work I have researched a bit on you tube and have seen people re-pack the gland? Would this be the next step and can this be done without isolating?? Bearing in mind I am fairly new to this game and don't really want to be posting "A Major Flood" on the Mistakes thread.

Any other advice would be greatly received. If any help they are on a combi.

Many thanks and may I just say how great this forum is. Really good to see/hear people willing to help others out. Even after they have probably had a day from hell in their own jobs. Always makes me enjoy reading with a cold one in hand. Keep up the good work!!

Pete.

Pete, your on top of it. Like you said nip up the gland nut. If this fails re-pack it.

If you repack the gland get some loctite 55 it works a treat.

totally agree. to repack use shortish length of ptfe tape rolled between your fingers, just undo the spindle nut-no need to isolate-and wrap it around the spindle push it down with a small screwdriver and do up the spindle nut. jobs a goodun.

As said tweak or re-pack. This will also work on lockshield rad valves if you have the same problem with them - which you will before long.

Wow Thanks guys for quick replies! If I repack do I need to open the valve up fully or turn down to close up before undoing the nut? Are there any "Don'ts" to think about or any possible things that can go wrong? I have visions of me just undoing a nut a little too much and Woosh!!!!! Pants filling time and Fire brigades being called to pump house out!? Sorry if I'm sounding over cautious but intending to go and attempt tomorrow evening when emergency places may be closed to get me out of the brown stuff!!

Loctite 55!? when do you guys know when to use this instead of ptfe tape? or is it just personal preference? Have seen over the threads it causes a 'little' debate!?

55 does exactly the same job as ptfe but allows a bit of turn back to align things and the real bonus is its packaged better doesnt wind up tying the contents of your toolbox together

Shut the valve and undo the gland nut.

Loctite 55 is a personal preference thing. I love it but some people just don't get on with it. I probably get on with it because I was taught using boss white and hemp.

Thanks very much guys.

So just to re-cap. Tweak the nut first with a pair of adjustables. If that doesn't work, turn the handle to close the valve and fully undo the nut and put a small amount of ptfe tape(don't have any loctite 55 at the mo) compressed around the spindle and push down with a screwdriver. Then tighten the nut up again and open valve........ Fingers crossed...... Job done!?

As always, you guys make it sound so easy! Am just waiting to hear back as to whether they are around tomorrow evening but if I attempt it I will post how it went. Hopefully with a smile and not with arm-bands and flippers!!

Cheers everyone.

Pete.

So just to re-cap. Tweak the nut first with a pair of adjustables. If that doesn't work, turn the handle to close the valve and fully undo the nut and put a small amount of ptfe tape(don't have any loctite 55 at the mo) compressed around the spindle and push down with a screwdriver. Then tighten the nut up again and open valve........ Fingers crossed...... Job done!?

Yep - that's about it.
Just go easy on the initial 'tweak' (don't crank it - just a nip).

Let us know how you get on :)

very informative posts. I'll have a look at a stopcock to see what you all on about!

Really good, thanks all.

Rocket

Try just tightening the packing nut first. Doesn't matter if the stopcock is newish or old, the packing may still be okay.
Clean the spindle well by scraping it & using emery paper, & slacken packing nut & pull it back, using grips & a turning movement if you need. Then clean the rest of spindle & use some silicone grease before tightening nut.
Not saying Loctite not needed though.

In the early days I often found the best way was to do a dummy run at home first, in this case do your own stoptap. Once your happy you can then do it under pressure.

Pressure being someone stood behind you watching and judging your every move.

I have visions of me just undoing a nut a little too much and Woosh!!!!! Pants filling time and Fire brigades being called to pump house out!? Sorry if I'm sounding over cautious

to avoid what you described, good idea to check you can turn off at the street first, always expect the unexpected!

good advice simon f. always good to have a backup if not confident.

Well, was hoping to post how successful it all went!............ But, unfortunately received a text from my mate saying he had to cancel so could we arrange for another day/evening!?

Guess I'm learning ANOTHER valuable lesson. Customers ruining your plans and......... perhaps don't do things for family and friends!?

Anyway, will let you know how it goes when I eventually complete it. Maybe later in the week or weekend!?

You can bank on customers not worrying about putting you out when the problem isn't urgent but when they have a big leak or need something doing urgently they'll expect you to drop everything for them!!!

yes you can repair live undo nut wind the the spindle with some ptfe 4 raps should do and retighten nut keep your hand on the tap so it cant push outwards done this a few times always works.

To save time tie the ptfe to the bottom of your adjustable and give it a spin. Snap it off and you have a nice bit of ptfe string.

Hi everyone. Well thanks for all your advice! Went and had a look, nipped it up a little and leak has stopped. Spindle felt 'tighter' now and doesn't feel it rises quite as much but flow at taps etc seem as normal. Plus combi working ok so am assuming all fine and just feels tighter due to nipping up the gland nut?

Anyway, thanks again for your advice and helping me have the confidence to attempt these jobs whilst still training! Have been told the best way to learn is to get there!?

Cheers, Pete.

Hi everyone. Well thanks for all your advice! Went and had a look, nipped it up a little and leak has stopped. Spindle felt 'tighter' now and doesn't feel it rises quite as much but flow at taps etc seem as normal. Plus combi working ok so am assuming all fine and just feels tighter due to nipping up the gland nut?

Anyway, thanks again for your advice and helping me have the confidence to attempt these jobs whilst still training! Have been told the best way to learn is to get there!?

Cheers, Pete.
Your the man pete!!!:punk:

When you opened up the stop tap did you wind it all the way out and then back half a turn to stop it seizing?!

Hi Resolute, yeah always say to friends and family (my current clients ) to do that either when I turn it on or them. Some of them look surprised and often make me think maybe I've made it up but that is the best way isn't it!???

Cheers scotty plumber, just hope I can hopefully get as good as all you guys come across as!? One day!?!?

Hi Resolute, yeah always say to friends and family (my current clients ) to do that either when I turn it on or them. Some of them look surprised and often make me think maybe I've made it up but that is the best way isn't it!???

Cheers scotty plumber, just hope I can hopefully get as good as all you guys come across as!? One day!?!?
You will be fine!

We're all spotty 14 year old boys locked in our bedrooms pretending to be plumbers and heating engineers really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks both! - Gives me something to go on now...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Anyone know of a repair service for Axpert...
Replies
Views
Hi Problematic valve resolved! I removed the...
Replies
Views
D
Slightly more expensive and a little more...
Replies
Views
Brilliant. All up and running. Thanks for...
Replies
Views
Back