Leaking toilet float valve | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking toilet float valve in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sweeney125

Hi all - can anyone offer repair advice for leaking toilet float valve? It appears that despite the float arm shutting off the water there's a slow but steady drip into the cistern from the inlet side of the fitting - where the orange arrow points. Is there a washer inside likely to require replacement or maybe ptfe tape required around the thread (or both)? Maybe the whole assembly ought to be replaced? I've only just moved in and never attempted a toilet repair :sweatdrop:

For the time being I'm shutting off the water at the inlet valve after each flush & refill or the cistern overfills into the overflow where guess what, I have another leak but I'll deal with that later...

Thank you in advance.
DSCF1005.jpgDSCF1004.jpgDSCF1006.jpg

Give arrowed blue nut a gentle nip up clock wise with pump pliers if you have them to start with

Thanks nicro3, that has certainly slowed the dripping considerably but not entirely

you could probably do with a new diaphragm washer in the valve. over time they do stiffen up out of shape.

Knock the water off and dismantle it, as steveb says change the diaphragm whilst your on and a new washer on the leaking side.

or bung a new one in as you can get them cheap (as long as you don't go to 'wee and poo'!)

Definitely don't use PTFE on the thread - it is the wrong application for that.

or bung a new one in as you can get them cheap (as long as you don't go to 'wee and poo'!)

Definitely don't use PTFE on the thread - it is the wrong application for that.

Agreed. Get a fluidmaster put in there

Is the Fluidmaster 400UK093 bottom entry float valve (Product Code: 171097) a suitable choice?

I doubt very much that anything other than a traditional style float valve with arm and ball will fit in there behind your handle. So the part you have in mind wouldn't fit.
I've fitted the brand 'delchem' before without problems, but to be honest your current one looks like a delchem, I don't think they're made to last for ever. See if you can find a brass one but you will have to shop around to find a bottom entry brass valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve checked the tank as much as I can and I...
Replies
Views
I wanted to fit an isolating valve to the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well done resolving it, glad to be of help...
Replies
Views
For a temporary solution, you can get an all...
Replies
Views
Back