Leaking unvented hot water cylinder - help needed - pics included | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking unvented hot water cylinder - help needed - pics included in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

J

jbc27

HI

We've got an unvented hot water cylinder with an element for providing hot water when not being feb by the Stanley Waterford stove which also does the central heating.

I've just noticed stains on the ceiling downstairs so took a look at the cylinder and there is tonnes of efflourescence and corrosion around the 'thermowatt' thing sticking out of the tank - pic below. I believe it is the heating element.

Simple question - is this a new cylinder? Or can the cylinder be drained down, part removed, cleaned up and a new one installed. If so any ideas on cost for such work?

Advice very much appreciated

20130721_133117.jpg

I've done some research and found a website (can't post link) heatingreplacementparts dot co dot uk

part number Ariston 65101884 is the relevant part - so should just be ok to replace like for like?

Further question being why has this happened? Tank is 7 yrs old so wouldn't expect it to be so bad. Does the system need a full flush?

Thanks

STOP NOW!

You need to hold a g3 ticket to work on an unvented cylinder. Cock this uo and you don't get hurt just a little bit. That thing has the ability to take the side of your house off!

You're barking up the wrong tree regarding a flush, drop that idea for that particular issue.

Post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Good man, it's yours and your family's safety we'd be concerned for.

Without knowing where you are and not accounting for the unforeseen I think you'd be looking £100 - £150 plus parts.

As I said, if you post in the looking for a plumber forum as linked previously you'll get someone contact you.

Thanks croppie - South Wales. See these things being blown up on Mythbusters so definitely not touching anything. Have posted in the looking for section now. Cheers for the suggested prices that's encouraging!

Similar plumbing topics

E
  • Question
Hi, I've got an unvented hot water cylinder...
Replies
Views
Elliott
E
Replies
Views
  • Question
https://myenergi.info/viewtopic.php?p=87432#p87432
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the replies. The 15mm pipe teed off...
Replies
Views
Back