Leaking vented copper cylinder. | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking vented copper cylinder. in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, I've been asked to replace a leaking vented indirect copper cylinder. Water is acidic - borehole supply. Am I any better off with a stainless steel Cylinder and plastic pipework where possible or will customer just have to accept need to correct ph in their water supply. They have been reluctant so far. I'm getting mixed messages from merchants re stainless steel- As it too can corrode I'm told. Has anybody got experience dealing with this.

Hi, I've been asked to replace a leaking vented indirect copper cylinder. Water is acidic - borehole supply. Am I any better off with a stainless steel Cylinder and plastic pipework where possible or will customer just have to accept need to correct ph in their water supply. They have been reluctant so far. I'm getting mixed messages from merchants re stainless steel- As it too can corrode I'm told. Has anybody got experience dealing with this.
No experience of acidic water, but I would contact manufacturers, not merchants. Good luck.

Hi, it is most unlikely that the issue is due to acidity in the water. Copper needs to be exposed to a fairly strong acid before it reacts.

In my my view it is more likely to be a result of electrolytic reaction between dissimilar metals in the system ( galvanised iron to copper?). This has probably been protected by an sacrificial anode inside the cylinder that has now come to the end of its life (dissolved).

The solution is to try to find the dissimilar metals in the system and remove / change them. Replace the cylinder - preferably for one with a Magnesium Alloy anode.

Fitting stainless steel (ss) cylinder ( provided that it is a decent grade of ss) will only move the corrosion point to where the dissimilar metals are in the system. Stainless steel will only react with very strong acids - I guess ones that would make you quite ill before the cylinder corroded through. The copper tank will have corroded where the anode was connected, once the anode had fully dissolved, the attack on the copper will have commenced

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi, it is most unlikely that the issue is due to acidity in the water. Copper needs to be exposed to a fairly strong acid before it reacts.

In my my view it is more likely to be a result of electrolytic reaction between dissimilar metals in the system ( galvanised iron to copper?). This has probably been protected by an sacrificial anode inside the cylinder that has now come to the end of its life (dissolved).

The solution is to try to find the dissimilar metals in the system and remove / change them. Replace the cylinder - preferably for one with a Magnesium Alloy anode.

Fitting stainless steel (ss) cylinder ( provided that it is a decent grade of ss) will only move the corrosion point to where the dissimilar metals are in the system. Stainless steel will only react with very strong acids - I guess ones that would make you quite ill before the cylinder corroded through. The copper tank will have corroded where the anode was connected, once the anode had fully dissolved, the attack on the copper will have commenced

Hope this helps
Thanks both. The cylinder has only been in less than 5 years. I'm told pipework is all copper/plastic. We are not 100% sure leak is the cylinder - it might be on cold feed pipework which is out of view and inaccessible but in area of leak. Cylinder has to come out anyway so We thought about stainless. Manufacturers don't seem to like dealing with anything other than mains water supply - understandably so are unable to commit. I think we are going to opt for a grade 1 copper replacement with all connections and pipework visible and accessible. I found a company in Northern Ireland making copper cylinders specifically for well/borehole water but costs almost too high. Waiting for more bespoke prices before deciding.
[automerge]1588682714[/automerge]
Thanks both. The cylinder has only been in less than 5 years. I'm told pipework is all copper/plastic. We are not 100% sure leak is the cylinder - it might be on cold feed pipework which is out of view and inaccessible but in area of leak. Cylinder has to come out anyway so We thought about stainless. Manufacturers don't seem to like dealing with anything other than mains water supply - understandably so are unable to commit. I think we are going to opt for a grade 1 copper replacement with all connections and pipework visible and accessible. I found a company in Northern Ireland making copper cylinders specifically for well/borehole water but costs almost too high. Waiting for more bespoke prices before deciding.
just to add visible pipework is pinholed so clearly a problem there

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
The basin & bathtaps will be pretty old to be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Any pictures of the cylinder install ? The...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Chuck. The cylinder was supplied by BG...
Replies
Views
Back