Leaking Water Cylinder | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaking Water Cylinder in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

markk1982

Hi,

New poster looking for some advice please :)

Got a water cylinder in the airing cupboard upstairs with an immersion heater on top. After clearing out the airing cupboard yesterday noticed that a load of towels and old bedding was wet through and found a drip coming from the bottom of the cylinder.

On closer inspection it looks like the water is running from a pipe on the left hand side of the cylinder about half way up. I turned the power to the cylinder off and the drip stops so it looks as though it only happens when the hot water is on (possibly heating but not sure as not used this for a few weeks).

Photos below for assistance, would appreciate any advice/help any of you can give?

Many thanks

boilerfront.jpg

boilerpipe2.jpg

old connection can leak and be tightened by brave plumbers, the actual weld/joints on the cyl can corrode out sometimes, depends where the actual leak is from as to whether it can be repaired. Being that its old, loosening and sealing the joints can cause the cyl to split occassionally, so dont blame your plumber if that does happen. best advice call in an expert, based on reccommendation from friends not from rated whatever online.

If it is coming from the pipe on the left & half way up then it is the flow from the heating boiler. If it stops or slows when the heating is turned off it does suggest that it may be repairable, as lame suggests get an expert in it is something that can quickly turn into a new cylinder even in their hands.

It is a very slow drip, but as mentioned, I've only just seen it as the missus has a massive pile of towels and bedding in front of the boiler and the bottom couple of towels seem to have been mopping this up, it could have been like this for months as this is the first time I've seen it.

If it makes any difference or helps at all, when we had the heating switched off but the hot water on twice on the timer, the radiators were still getting warm, not hot, just noticably warm to say the heating was switched off.

Cheers for the quick helpful responses.

Sometimes while heat is on a cylinder will leak worse - perhaps a crack in the tank opening slightly with heat. Some will do the opposite & heat will dry the leak up & it may even seal up for a while.
Be careful the bases in cylinders can corrode through & a torch with a mirror can show green corrosion.
That joint in last picture looks like a heating conversion coil which has a rubber gasket that can perish.
Second look has made me sure it is a conversion coil & it can leak into the foam insulation.

Last edited:
It is a conversion coil more specifically a yorkshire one. Very easy to fix in about an hour with a bit insertion cloth or even old bit rubber tube. Either that or a new cylinder.

Don't try tightening it, you'll make it worse.

Well you're probably right as I'm in Yorkshire!

So its looking like I'll need to get a plumber in then?

Sods law that we've just booked and paid for a holiday then find this the day after!

What, in peoples opinions would be a reasonable cost for
1) If the coil can be repaired

2) If it can't be repaired and needs a replacement cylinder and fitting

thanks again for the replies

Well you're probably right as I'm in Yorkshire!

So its looking like I'll need to get a plumber in then?

Sods law that we've just booked and paid for a holiday then find this the day after!

What, in peoples opinions would be a reasonable cost for
1) If the coil can be repaired

2) If it can't be repaired and needs a replacement cylinder and fitting

thanks again for the replies

You need to get a plumber out to give you a quote, this should normally be free.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
It looks like it has been leaking from within...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
https://myenergi.info/viewtopic.php?p=87432#p87432
Replies
Views
  • Question
Those float valves are easily serviceable and...
Replies
Views
Back