Leaky Toilets | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter SimonGW
  • Start date
  • Replies 2
  • Views 3K

Discuss Leaky Toilets in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SimonGW

I've been trying find good information about leaky toilets - what do I mean and why? Well there has been a lot of discussion in water regs circles that the changes in 1999 which brought about the introduction of valve flushing mechanisms has created an enormous increase in faulty toilets and the amount of water leaking from toilets - damaged valves, no external overflows to see the problems and also few have meters so leaks don't cost money - just a waste of water. With the water companies and Government spending so much time trying to avoid drought measures in the South East; are they in fact putting their heads in the sand if the purported issues of leaky toilets are not acknowledged. I'm interested in any information, anecedotal or otherwise that might help me understand how significant this issue really is!

Most toilets in USA use flapper valves. Even though they're constantly warping and letting by, wasting water, and in need of repair the manufacturers discourage awareness to the issue and modifying them or using a siphon due to the turnover being very lucrative.

I often come across leaky toilets from the cheaper types of flushing mechanisms. Without external overflows, people tend to just put up with it until it gets really bad and the sound of running water keeps them awake. I would agree that it is an issue as vast quantities of water can be lost over time at only a slow, but constant drip.

The thing is with external overflows it was getting to be a bit of a pain fitting WCs when people are wanting en-suites in places where you cant get an overflow pipe away easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

For a temporary solution, you can get an all...
Replies
Views
And we thought the UK had some bad-uns . The...
Replies
Views
ok great thank you - will try and see how it goes!
Replies
Views
If they stump up the air fare I'm there
Replies
Views
You can pick up a rolled lead hex for that...
Replies
Views
Back