Learning about fixing boilers | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Learning about fixing boilers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

uwantsome

Hello all. Im gas safe and i mainly do site work and maybe once every 2 weeks do private work. I do all sorts of plumbing, full heating systems, bathrooms design and install, can also do a fair bit of joinery but I'm hopeless at fixing boilers. Its embarrassing when i go to help a friend out with a faulty boiler and i don't know what I'm doing. I work for a company and they're not interested in me learning how to fix boilers as they don't spend that much time doing it. So i just wondered are there any really good courses i can pay and go on to learn about fixing boilers. Im hoping to go on my own in 2 years ish so i need and want to know about these things.

Many thanks and i look forward to your reply

Just need to get on manufacturer's courses, their's Mr combi, find him in trede mags, NOTE be careful when doing private work ! your not cover'd by gas safe outside of working Hrs ! unless you have your own GS number

Its different from installing heating to diagnostic works .
besst way if you take out old boiler as part upgrade strip it down to get use to it , i am not very good at diagnostics thats what i am doing.

The best form of learning, i found was any old boilers that I ripped out, I used to sit at home and methodically work through how everything worked.

Baxi course is good.

i have my own gas safe number its, I'm just hopeless at fixing boilers. Thanks for the replies

Hi Uwantsome
where about's r u ? there is a good centre near Datford does a combi course - Intaplumb, I think.
The problem with manufacture one is they want to spend at least half the day trying to sell you them or the rest of the stuff they do !!!!

Im in Preston, Lancs. Thanks for the replies lads, i'll have a further look into it tomorrow, bed now. :D

To repair something, boilers, cars, domestic appliances, you must first know how they works I mean you need to know the functional description of it.You can find and download repair manuals for almost all brands of boilers; you look all the various circuits electric and hydraulic and try sort out an imaginary fault, Any fault has to be sorted out in theory first then your practical work will be easier.Once you have a comprehensive knowledge of the functional description and the various circuits you have to join a good practical training course so you will always follow the correct diagnostic way, no trying to fix by swapping parts, like lots of engineer do.Yorkshire fitting do training on line, very basic, it won’t cost you money.I am sure if you really want to learn, you will make it.Good luck

cant recomend the 3 day baxi courses highly enough. think they are titled multimeter use, appreciating combis and basic electrics do the three days well worth it ,no time wasted while they sell there products and they cover things that dont apply to the baxi range

cant recomend the 3 day baxi courses highly enough. think they are titled multimeter use, appreciating combis and basic electrics do the three days well worth it ,no time wasted while they sell there products and they cover things that dont apply to the baxi range

Cant ever understand tho why pay to do a course on fault finding?
If your a gsr fitter then i would imagine you would know someone who repairs boilers , go with them for few days save on the extra outlay of courses .

I bought this book to help fault finding really good. Central Heating Combination Boilers Fault Finding and Repair. author John Reginald. still refer to it now occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

W
pcb issue so gas safe engy required sorry to say
Replies
Views
Under the Energy Price Cap rates from 1...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
It could be numerous things, including a flow...
Replies
Views
I'm sorry it's been difficult reading. Is this...
Replies
Views
Back