Leaving a fire or backboiler connected | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leaving a fire or backboiler connected in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

royston

Can some one please let me know the correct procedure for leaving a back boiler in and fire capped or vice versa, can you use one, without the other operational? I know you would certainly have to leave them both in place.

i know a lot of fires are left on in this situation. but this should not happen unless manufacturer has given the go ahead.
this should be written down by the manufacturer and sent to you.
then if there is any come back off it you can feel at ease that it will be down to the manufacturer and not you.

this is baxis stance,they dont recommended it but if done all boilers controls left in place,gas capped to boiler electrically made safe,there is a gas safe tb on it

Had this last week with a glowworm which had the fire only in use but with the back boiler still in place with only the electic disconected and on checking with glowworm tech. was told that this was perfectly acceptable.

If the boiler is made redundant the fire can still be used, providing: You disconnect and cap the gas train from the isolation valve, remove the boiler burner and gas valve. Make safe the electrical supply.

agreed my old boss, x brittish gas alwasy told me to make electricaly safe remove burner and cap gas supply and test fire, then jobs a good un!

Someone told me that you have to drill holes in the heat exchanger so it could not be used again. Is this true as I have never seen one with these holes in, plus it would probably take a week to drill through.

Someone told me that you have to drill holes in the heat exchanger so it could not be used again. Is this true as I have never seen one with these holes in, plus it would probably take a week to drill through.

It's not so it can't be used again just to drain the water out properly so it doesn't heat up/blow off any cap ends if someone caps the pipe

For solid fuel yes.

It's not so it can't be used again just to drain the water out properly so it doesn't heat up/blow off any cap ends if someone caps the pipe

For solid fuel back boilers, yes. For gas bbu's, It won't heat up if you remove the gas train and burner, not a problem.

Just cut the pipes off and disconnect them at the boiler.
Nobody is ever going to use it if it has the burner out it and the supply capped.

Remember the ventilation has to remain for the full output of the fire and bbu if the bbu is removed

this is how it is regarding bbus and fires left in as i said earlier BAXI dont recommend it but it can be done we take the risk if we leave it working and before someone says but glowworm do there is more chance of finding a Bermuda this was the biggest selling boiler of all time so chances are it will be one of these,you do not need to drill holes in the heat exchanger this only applies to solid fuel and thats Dodgey ground before we start.....anyway controls must be left in but disabled,gas capped,electrics dead,and drained of water,and the flue liner must be up to another 15 years use that raises another thread in its own right some of you are wondering why must the controls be left in? because the fire/bbu was designed to take it air for combustion trough the controls being in place remove them and its not as the manufacturer designed,think of a outset gas fire air reliefs are designed to be a specific size for? the flue to work properly its no different with a back boilers controls and regarding ventilation if the fire is under 7 kw (check the data badge)it does not require ventilation if the back boilers disabled

Last edited by a moderator:
Some manufacturers say they do some say they don't I would err on the side of caution personally although customer isn't going to love the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

@woytaz thanks for the update. It's funny...
Replies
Views
That's a really good point. I'll test it with...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a flexicom.cx that hasn’t been...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
Back