let by + gas leak | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss let by + gas leak in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyplumb

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
IMG_20130531_153543.jpg

Afternoon all, a wee experiment for you all to try
you'll need the tools shown in the picture above

connect your manometer to the meter and set gauge to 10mb as if doing a let by test,
now create a small gas leak, I've used the bellows with it's valve slightly open to do this,
now you want to create a small let by on the ecv to compensate for the gas leak.

What you want is your gauge to stay at 10mb,
so now you've got 2 faults, ie a let by + a gas leak and the manometer reads as if all is well

now you want to use the bellows to increase the gauge pressure to 20mb
[ dont touch the ecv or the bellows valve at this point, as you dont want to alter the let by or the gas leak you've created ]
now do a tightness test 20mb for 2mins

I did the tightness test a few times and I was getting a drop of between 2 - 4 mb

what's the point of all this nonsense,
well the powers that be, say it's alright to leave a 4mb drop [u6 meter] on an existing gas supply with appliances & no smell of gas etc.

if you do this in the experiment i've created, you'd be walking away and leaving a let by as well as a gas leak

so what can we learn from all of this, well, if you get an 'allowable' permissable drop, dont walk away from it, until you've checked for some sort of drop at 10mb as well,
if there's no drop at 10mb, it's likely that the ecv is letting by.

I dont have any accouterments on my water guage. Just a tube direct to the meter.

if you leave your gauge and hose in the sun the equipment and gas inside it will expand,it will rise by atmospheric pressure and will show a rise in pressure

not done in controlled conditions so doesnt actually prove anything, as gasman said solar and wind cooling could have a major effect as well

if you leave your gauge and hose in the sun the equipment and gas inside it will expand,it will rise by atmospheric pressure and will show a rise in pressure

it was'nt in the sun that long

the gauge was'nt rising either and at 20mb it was dropping.

here's another question for you then,
why do you think we do a let by at 10mb but a tightness is done at 20mb ?

Regards the sun having an affect. It really can do and can hide a drop.
Next time you test an inside meter with an electronic gauge where the temp is pretty stable stick your hand on the pipe and see how much it rises from the heat of your hand.

i know what you mean tamz, but what can you do, the sun always shines in glasgow :sunny:

i wasn't going to grace a answer

the thing is, the answer to that question has a real relevance here, but my findings are showing otherwise.
it's only when the drop is 4mb or less, that a let by may go unnoticed. any drop above 4mb would fail a tightness test anyway, then the problem would probably be found.

i'm gonna try this again under different conditions, we'll see what results i get.

the thing is, the answer to that question has a real relevance here, but my findings are showing otherwise.
it's only when the drop is 4mb or less, that a let by may go unnoticed. any drop above 4mb would fail a tightness test anyway, then the problem would probably be found.

i'm gonna try this again under different conditions, we'll see what results i get.
ok lets see what it throws up

Had this to day looked like ECV was letting by on my seconded test half hour later but the sun had come out and would not stabilise so covered external pipework with 4 towels stopped the rise and proved no let by.

ok lets see what it throws up

i've done some more tests under different weather conditions etc now, :sad:
I was 99.9% sure about the results before, but now i'm 100% sure.

I've no doubt that the sun can cause a gauge to rise, but that's not what happened here. This time I tested on a few different meters & made sure there was no sun / wind etc :sad:

Here's what I found
It's all about the amount of let by and the amount of gas leak, they obviously both need to be equal, but they also need to be really small to get a drop of 4mb or less.
Create too much of a let by / gas leak, and when you raise the pressure to 20mb, it'll drop quicker than a who-eres drawers.

So there you have it, ignore all of this at your peril

look you dozy so and so, you do the let by first to establish that there is no let by, then when you do the tightness test you know theres no let by affecting any potential leaks. you do the let by at 10 mb and the tightness at 21 mb so there is a reason able chance of spotting the let by prior to tightness test. get it now!!!!

look you dozy so and so, you do the let by first to establish that there is no let by, then when you do the tightness test you know theres no let by affecting any potential leaks. you do the let by at 10 mb and the tightness at 21 mb so there is a reason able chance of spotting the let by prior to tightness test. get it now!!!!

not me that's the dozy one :laugh3:
are you sure your gsr ?

read my 1st post again till it sinks in, then come back with a more sensible answer the next time :confused5:

1000s of people doing tests and you try and set up a situation to get yourself worried, keep on worrying, no one else is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

How old is your place? Get the gas company to...
Replies
Views
More than fine then in 11/5 tube should be...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Many thanks bacon_sandwich.
Replies
Views
He’s brave leaving it on with a drop and a...
Replies
Views
Back