let by test required if fixing non gas boiler fault? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss let by test required if fixing non gas boiler fault? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marco

New to gas, so please bear with possibly stupid questions...

If you were say replacing a faulty diverter valve or similar non gas problem, would it be best to do basic gas tests as you are working on the boiler? I think so - but as not touched gas pipes is it required?

cheers

If you dont touch the "gas train" then you dont have to do a drop test. However if you take the cover off a boiler then you do have to do boiler safety checks ie gas rate, burner pressure, inspect flue etc. I have just worked on water parts on a boiler and done a drop test on the appliance only using the inlet on the gas valve just to make sure I have not disturbed anything. I always do what make me feel happy when it comes to working on boiler.

regardless of what i replair on boilers i always do let by and tightness tests prior and after repair for my own peace of mind if nothing else. it doesnt take much effort and it doesnt take long so i just do it.

We also do FGA tests on every boiler we look at now.

My mate went to a boiler that weren't working earlier this year and found a wire had dropped of the NTC. Fired up the boiler and all looked to be ok, he hadn't opened the combustion chamber or touched the flue so didn't even occur to him to FGA it.

He got called back an hour or so later because the boiler was threatening to bounce off the wall.

CO readings went offscale! He isolated, capped and labelled it then called me.

Turned out the boiler was prefitted in the portacabin by the suppliers and was set up for NG.

When the portacabin was delivered to site someone, and to this day I still haven't found out who, just ran a gas supply from the adjacent LPG bulk storage tank.

Now every boiler we look at, oil and gas, gets FGA'd and drop tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
Have to do it someday and it make sense for...
Replies
Views
A bit late but what were the test results, did...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Back