Level 2 apprentice pay | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Level 2 apprentice pay in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had a lad from college working with me this week on trial. He seems a good lad.
he I 17 and on has just started his second full time year at college.
Does anyone know what pay rates are for apprentices. .? The JIb rates seem high!
Have searched a bit about pay rates but thought I. Here might have the real world answer.

I think you need to get the balance right on this one. You don't want to be out of pocket but he will want an encouraging wage something that he will
want to get out of bed for yet strive to earn more. Worse thing as an apprentice is to
be thinking you've been working hard but it barely seems worth it come Friday. Personally I started at £35 a day but that soon became 50 as I worked hard to better
myself. I nice touch by my boss when I was learning was that at the end of a good week he would buy me a tool. Nothing to expensive but them handy little plumbing tools. I saw that he was willing to give to me so that made me want to give my all to keep that mutual respect for him. It worked out well and 5 years on, I'm still with the same man, although now self employed and he knows he can call on me whenever but I know he's always behind me and trusts my work.

Sorry to go on bit once I started I couldn't stop haha

The minimum hourly rate for a 17 yr old apprentice is £2.73 per hour. Anything less than that would be illegal.

As soon as he turns 19, that shoots up to £5.13, or just over £200 per week.

NMW regulations here

Thanks Ray.
i found the government site with that info, but couldn't work out if it went to £5.13 at 18 or 19. Looks like if he is a bonafide apprentice, it's £2.73 until 19.

Will pay more if he does well.

i have a 22 year old nephew on a aluminuim fab apprentice/trainee, he's on £3 per hour for the first year!!!!!

Although he is in second year at college he is effectively a 1st year apprentice as he has no working experience. You'll know yourself what he is worth after a week.

I've always paid apprentices jib rates but Scottish rates are slightly lower than English.
http://www.snijib.org/members/documents/SNIJIB20144ReminderofNoticeofPromulgationScotland.pdf

I never had any complaints ever but i would also be fair with them, slip them an extra score here and there if they did good or as Rybo said buy them the odd tool now and again. They also all got pensions and sickness benifits which cost me @ another 10% of their gross.
Also as their time went on and they were sent to a job on their own they would be paid extra for that.
I also passed them small jobs and even bathroom swaps which i couldn't be bothered doing, to do on their own time after ok ing it with the customers. I'd tell them how much to take and what they would be due me for materials which i supplied.
That learned them to think for themselves quicker and learn the consequences of their mistakes.
If you get the right boy and treat him decent you will have a loyal employee.
Not everyone joining this trade thinks they should be on 60k a year. Most are realistic.
If he pays attention, is willing to learn and keeps off his phone he will soon become a valuable asset but when he fks up remember what you were like at 17.
I was certainly no angel:aureola:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Wow thanks for posting. And thanks for posting...
Replies
Views
If you are looking to be the WBR (Work Based...
Replies
Views
IMO You may as well ask your mate to be your...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
M
My feeling is that it's not the homeowners...
Replies
Views
Back