Leveling uneven kitchen walls for porcelain tiling | Tiling Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Leveling uneven kitchen walls for porcelain tiling in the Tiling Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Leveling uneven kitchen walls for porcelain tiling

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about 20.6kg/sqm
The wall is not flat and it's plastered. Then ripping the current tiles off, some of the plaster also came off and when doing the "coin test" I can feel that some bit of plaster are not sound.
Considering all this I think that tiling over the existing plaster is a no go. How can I solve the situation?
I was thinking about doing the following:

1) in the area that will be tiled, chisel away the unsound plaster exposing the sort of mortar underneat. Leave everything as is where I will not be tiling... the kitchen units will cover that area anyway
2) install sheets of 6mm hardiebacker in the recessed areas where I will be tiling
3) install all the kitchen units and then tile over the hardiebacker
Do you think this would work? Any other idea?

I know I could just use plasterboard instead of the hardiebacker but it would be ticker and I don't know if that thickness would be excessive. Any advice?

Could I just try skimming the wall with some cheap-ish rapid set tile adhesive? Or will it build too much adhesive on the wall considering that I then have to use a 10mm layer for the tiles?

Leveling uneven kitchen walls for porcelain tiling for more information

You may reply to this message here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Here you go now you can see its easier 👍 kop
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Much easier than that is to replace your bath...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hmm. We're talking about British Standards...
Replies
Views
C
no not sarcastic at all
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
Back