Lever valve on hot exit from unvented cylinder | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Lever valve on hot exit from unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Afternoon all, when installing an unvented cylinder does anyone fit an isolation valve on the hot run as it leaves the cylinder?
Been told its against regs but can't think of a reason why it would be. First pic in the Bpec manual shows a cylinder with lever valve on the hot.
Surely it's no different to having a tap on the end of a run if it was turned off.

Just curious to your thoughts on this.

Manufactures data mega1.jpg

Cheers for reply, does that say isolation valves are required. Isn't that just at the draw off points?

not sure if its against the regs but its probably not best practice. The main issues with isolations on un vented is to ensure that its not possible to isolate the safey devices from the cylinder.

Why do you need to have a valve there? why not isolate the cold before the combi valve/set up?

I personally don't fit the valve there but got sent a pic of one saying they thought it was against regs.

This is the pic from the new Bpec manual.
Seen it done on quite a few installs now.

I wasn't with the question the first place, maybe I should ask you this question, whats the difference between a 22 mm gate valve near the outlet of a Mega-flow and the taps on the end of the lines in the bath and kitchen, none, the only advantage of fitting a GV just after the Mega-flow is you don't need to drop the pressure in the MF to change a tap etc. Dropping the pressure in the MF can use a fair bit of water.

I dont fit any valves on the outlet of the hot water near the uhwc and personally dont see the point of having one there

I always fit one. Means I can leave the balanced cold supply on with the hot isolated. I always fit one before the valve assembly and one each on the hot and cold outlets.

I don't fit them on domestic properties as most are too small to make any difference. Big installs then yes.

Fitted by someone who doesn't understand an UV set up. Why could you possibly need one?

A few years ago we fitted isolation valves on the outlet of unvented cylinders as per drawing. The building control wanted the leavers removed as he said they were a danger. What a load of rubbish! the expansion in a Megaflow is before the isolation valve. All Unvented cylinders must be isolated safely so the expansion protects the cylinder.

I dont fit any valves on the outlet of the hot water near the uhwc and personally dont see the point of having one there

I agree. The point of putting it on the cold before all controls is to give one point of isolation that can be used to service the whole hot water system. Although there is no reason a valve can't go on the hot side it is sort of pointless and people need to stop fitting gate valves to invented systems I,m sick of working on systems with gate valves for isolation that pass. As for using water when taking the pressure off that is a rare occurrence really and would be negligible in the scale of things. Putting an extra valve on is a waste of money unless some joker has put a gate valve on the feed.

Would you put your name to this job, if not why???

I also do see a 1/4 turn valve on the HWS takeoff, nowt wrong with that IMO, how many mistakes can you spot, BTW exclude the skirting board and the immersion heater cable clipped to the blow off pipe

megaflow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you put your name to this job, if not why???

I also do see a 1/4 turn valve on the HWS takeoff, nowt wrong with that IMO

View attachment 13468
What apart from the filling loop still connected (Water Regs) & on insulation on the pipework for a metre away on all cylinder con's (Part L), Where's the composite valve & isolation on the cold in then ? otherwise valve on the outlet no problem.

I don't think it's a bad idea tbh as Mike says if its a balanced system you can isolate the hot without the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Hi There, What did you decide to do in the end?
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
OK thanks for the response. I hadn't...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello all I'm replacing 2 unvented cylinder a...
Replies
Views
Back