Locating and turning off the hot water valve? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Locating and turning off the hot water valve? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

S

sneakerman

Hello,

The thin metal hot water pipe running to my bathroom sink has a small pinhole leak. I need to locate the hot water valve to stop the leak. Cold water valve is in my kitchen and can be shut off easily.

Now where is the hot water valve? I’ve located 3 valves in my boiler cupboard but none seem to shut off if turned either way. The middle one stuck so I can’t shift it either way.

Which one is the valve to the hot water taps??

I remember a plumber going in here years ago with a spanner or something and turning the water off, though I could be wrong.

What the best way to repair a pinhole leak?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

boiler2.jpgboiler.jpg

follow pipe coming from top of the cylinder, thats your hot water. you might want to shut cold water to cylinder and drain excess water through tap. also open hot tap on bath and kitchen sink, so it will lower the pressure on your basin tap. if valves havent been touched for years you might straggle and could en-dup with leak or something worse, so be careful.

the valve you need to close looks like it will be the one at the back on the left behind the hot feed from the top of the cylinder. just follow the pipe down to make sure it goes into the bottom of the cylinder.

thanks lads, but still no luck cutting the hot water off. tried both valves with hot water taps running for 20 minutes straight and still the same.

what am i doing wrong?

the pinhole is near the top of the copper pipe. i've bought some putty stuff instead though the tape was about the same price.

you need to trace the cold feed fm the attic tank to the feed pipe into the bottom of the cyl. stop cold going in will stop hot going out, or into attic and turn of stopcock feeding larger of 2 storage tanks or tie up the ball valve then run hot till tank empty to allow you to do repair. putty and tape are not the med to long term answer tho, get the pipe cut and rejoined properly

thanks lads, but still no luck cutting the hot water off. tried both valves with hot water taps running for 20 minutes straight and still the same.

what am i doing wrong?

the pinhole is near the top of the copper pipe. i've bought some putty stuff instead though the tape was about the same price.

Very rarely does anyone install valves for hot water supply, I do as it makes life easier.

You'll have to run the cold tap in the bathroom with the mains switched off to drain the cold tank, that'll remove the head to push hot out, that way the hot is isolated and away you go.

Looking at the cylinder and the pipework then it's off with the mains and drain the cwcs until no more water out of hot tap. Chances are if you do find the valve to knock the cold feed off it will either be jammed open or you'll close it and not be able to get it open again.

If you're not very confident then try a pipe repair clamp. They compress on the pipe. It's a good temporary measure and can last probably years.

You should get someone to service those valves though. Disassemble them from the housing and replace with new. No need to change the whole body if they're in a difficult location.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you repair the pinhole consider putting in isolator on hot and cold feed to basin. if the leak is in the right place it may even save you the repair.
Just cut the pipe on the leak and insert the valve. as they are compression joints it may simplify it for you.

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Question
Contact them again and hope you don’t get the...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Are you sure the taps arnt off the mains as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
which must be protected by a RCD new circuit...
Replies
Views
Back