Loft Overflow leaking | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Loft Overflow leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shaun2312

Hi guys,
I need some advise if poss :) - I have an overflow leak and it's from the loft. I went up there and took the lid off the cold water tank to find the water above the overflow pipe.

Any advise on how to stop it filling too much would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I tried to link 2 video's showing it but was restricted

youtube.com/watch?v=Q71ieoAE0Qk

youtube.com/watch?v=4t7uSzTOspA

Hi,

I would just replace the ball valve, but the reason its started doing this is because the washer has warn down.

just watched the video, isolate the water to the tank, the arm of the ball valve has a brass split pin in take that out and the arm should come out, then bend the arm over your knee ( just a tweak not to much ) then reassemble should work if not try bending it more.

That's your heating F&E tank. level's far too high, just bale some water out and (CAREFULLY) bend the float arm down. the washer looks to be holding ok.

Thanks for the help guys, I have been back up (damn its hard work) and bent the arm over a little so that the float is now fully submerged. One more question about the F&E tank. I havn't taken any water out as there is hardly any room to move let alone safely remove some water up there. will the water drain out at all? Or is removing it up there the only way?

the F&E tank feeds your radiators if it is a F&E at all that is, if you have a drain valve on a radiator you could let water out that way, but from my point of view just leave it it shouldnt be a problem

It will only remove itself if you have a leak on your heating circuits.
As croppie said, it will be best if you bail the excess water out so you dont have any water coming through ceiling.

Try your best to get a jug and a bucket. Pass the bucket down to another person who can help to minimise spillages.

I recommend to have the F&E tank half full so you have plenty of room for expansion :)

You can drain off some water from your system if you have one of these near a radiator.
doc.jpg
Put something under it to catch water, or put some hose pipe on the ribbed bit and secure it with a jubilee clip and run it outside, then open up the valve until you have drained off the required water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

G
Just discovered water is constantly dripping...
Replies
Views
GrahamSE1
G
Hi, could you post a picture of the whole WC...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To be fair, it depends on how the bathrooms...
Replies
Views
C
I'm trying to pipe rainwater into my cistern...
Replies
Views
Cody l
C
Replies
Views
Back