Loft Tank | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Loft Tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi To All Engineers,

I have a five bedroom house built before 1979, it has old plumbing heating system until now.

We recently fitted new COMBI boiler, we have two bathrooms and one toilet downstairs, cold water is fed through water tank in loft to both bathrooms . My questions is if I have combi boiler do I still need loft water tank to feed cold water to bathrooms or can I direct feed from mains water to both bathrooms. I have been told by my friend that loft water tank is not hygienic. Your response will be much appreicated

the cold feed should really have been changed over when the combi boiler was fitted. didn't your engineer mention this at the time?

Should have been done at the same time as new boiler, but yes remove it. Join the cold main to the feed coming out of the tank. If you can, this would be best linked together away from the cold loft space.

are you sure you have a combi boiler I don't mean to be rude but have you got combi and condensing confused I only ask as I once had a customer ask me a similar question as her pervious engineer had baffled her with talk and confused her

No doubt a quality install. Seems to be a common thing around this way these days leaving the tanks connected but most are Eco or other freebie schemes where the fitters are paid a pittance so i can see their point too.

A combi in a 5 bed house with bathroomS?? I'd leave the tank in so that when you convert back in a year or so it's less work!

Thought it would have taken less posts before someone mentioned about a combi for that sized house.

Thought it would have taken less posts before someone mentioned about a combi for that sized house.

Thanks Guys,

It is a combi condensing boiler, no the engineer never mentioned about the loft tank, although he disconnected the expansion tank but cold water feed from the loft tank is still there and only I came to know when someone mentioned to me that cold water feed loft tank is not required and you can connect directly to the water mains and this was puzzled me as I am not engineer and this is the reason I ask the forum.

So my understanding is from you experts that I can have direct feed water mains to my both bathrooms and that there is no need of loft water tank.:blush5::tounge_smile:

So my understanding is from you experts that I can have direct feed water mains to my both bathrooms and that there is no need of loft water tank.:blush5::tounge_smile:

Correct as said before it should of been changed when the combi was installed. But don't think a combi was a wise choice personally.

Last edited:
Still can't believe someone has fitted a combi in this size house. Do you not get problems with the hot water when you open more than one tap?

2 x bathrooms, could I ask what size combi you had fitted ? and how good is your cold water supply, may have left the tanks in due to poor cold water supply, but poor practice .

2 x bathrooms, could I ask what size combi you had fitted ? and how good is your cold water supply, may have left the tanks in due to poor cold water supply, but poor practice .

Combi boiler is 24Kw, Cold water supply is good means we are never short of water, the loft tank only supply to bathrooms and downstairs toilet and if we remove it I think the water mains pressure should be adequate. Having said that if the water tank removed and if we were to use bathroom as well as kitchen for cold water from mains pressure then it should cope without loosing mains water pressure.

Thanks in advance for your sharing your expertise.

You tried to run a bath yet with that 24kw? You could try temporary linking (or your plumber) the tank out then see how you get on, if it's naff you can then reconnect.

Just make sure there aren't any shower pumps as may not be suitable for mains feed!!

Obviously the loft tank isn't copper, or he'd have had it out staright away:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thank you Shaun. Where would we have a gate...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for your advice I will get up into...
Replies
Views
Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
Back