Log burner to hot for primatic tank(cylinder) | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Log burner to hot for primatic tank(cylinder) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumbingdazman

Hi everyone

My girlfriends mum recently replaced her coal back boiler for a log burner (elegant B) but i think the heat output is far greater than the old one as she rang up the other day telling me that the primatic cylinder she has was extremely hot and actually heating up the cold water in the little tank that sits on the top of the hot tank.

She has been told to maybe change her cylinder for just a hot water cylinder and put a cwsc in the loft instead and also run a couple of radiators off the log burner as well as she has no heating in the house.

I have attached a rough diagram was wondering if it seemed right the way i have drawn it out regarding connections or whether it needs changing, any advice much appreciated.I know the F&E tank has no cold feed in diagram.

Many thanks Darren

Sorry cant upload image it is saying file to large

Attachments

• boiler job.jpg
    boiler job.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Its most important to match the output of the appliance with hot water rad etc. (From your description it sounds like a Fortice primatic.) I think the people that fitted the new boiler bare some responsibility for fitting such a situation with its dangerous potential.

Thank you just lead. Yes you are correct it is a fortice primatic.

So if i can find the boilers heat ouput that will help me work out the btu's for the radiator/s and pipe runs etc?

Should the pump be on the flow or return pipework and will it work with a pipe stat?

Thanks again

Always pump the return. Please be extra carefull when hooking up this type of system they really can be dangerous if poorly planned or installed. You might ammend your diagram with some pipe sizes to let us see you are getting it right. The output will vary with type of fuel used.

centralheatking

sounds to me that heat sink rads are needed personally i would not fit solid fuel to primatic always indirect

If you heat it up you have to dump it. Does not sound like the solid fuel fit was appropriate for the system. Were they HETAS registered. If so complain.

i dont know who replaced the new log burner i will try and find out but here are some photos of the old fire and the new one and the fortic primatic cylinder.

If i was to replace the fortic with a new cylinder do i need one with an internal coil inside so as the boiler system (log burner) is kept seperate to the hot water and add a cwsc to the loft to feed the cylinder. and where is best to tee into the flow to add a heat leak radiator?

Many thanks Darren
fortic tank.JPGelegant_sml.jpgold fire.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Another one for H2 panel. Have a look at...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
I cannot see the photo's but from your...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Unfortunately I have! Twin immersion with a...
Replies
Views
thanks everyone thanks for info, was pretty...
Replies
Views
Yeah, I did read this but I’ve inherited the...
Replies
Views
Back