Log burner | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Log burner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Gents, could somebody put mu mind at rest with this one lol

in the TFJ household last night, log burners on like most evenings, and has been for the last 12 ish years.
I put on a log which was defo a hardwood one, 30 mins later I considered ringing the fire brigade , the fire was beyond hot .
As you know you can't just turn these things off. So rather a few scary hours followed while it eventually burnt away.
There were plenty strange noises which I am sure was the fire self cleaning the flue by burning the carbon off .
The flue is the manufacturers first 1 meter which then goes into 3 x one meter sections of stainless insulated type ( very expensive )

this is morning fire was stripped down cleaned out , 'bombed' (ok) and I cleaned the flue with my drain rods with the rubber scrapper on .
Everything seems good to go, what do you think ???
Mr cropsta you can close this thread and give me a bollocking , I am not HETAS lol

I havnt got a clue what the log was, the current batch of logs i am using i had to buy , i usually have enough trees around here.
I never thought one log could give out the heat it did.

Generally the denser the wood the higher the calorific value (heat content) but how dry it is also greatly affects the heat output. If it has been well seasoned the heat can be nearly doubled. Throw a bit anthracite in with the wood for a better heat lol

Lol tamz , i wanted to turn it down .
I do think all the noises we heard was because the flue was that hot it melted the previously baked on carbon off the sides of the flue, i am just a bit reluctant to fire it up again.

Get it lit its baltic out there. It will be fine. If your wood hasn't been properly dried before, the flue would have had a coating of tar on it. That will have been what you heard cracking and burning off. You should dry your logs out for at least a year before you burn them but hardly anybody does.
Just had the daft idea to give my van a wee tidy out and came in after half an hour cos i got no feeling in my hands. Bloody white finger(s). Started the van up and its minus 3 on the dash thingy.

Local boozer has a log burner and one night it was similar thing burner was glowing , landlady poo'd her pants .

Turned out it was never installed properly had local heatas guy come out bought the burner more forward and had some issue with the chimney .

Same as you been like it for years then one night nearly set fire to the pub haha

Lol, I have just lit it , last night i was ready for ringing the fire brigade , the bloody thing won't go tonight . Lol

We got a log burner by far the best way to get some heat in your gaff we have a right routine regarding timber got about 3 years worth

Yer I had a load of trees lopped back in the summer, I reckon we have 5 years plus in them . As you know the main problem is racking them, I could with building some more

You'll be fine if you follow Charlies advice
[video=youtube;9HB0HcINjWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HB0HcINjWs[/video]

sounds like the hard wood you used was very dry and gave alot if heat off as tamz suggested. Most people over fill these things past there designed output. make sure your co alarm is working and positioned correctly and the proper clearances to combustable materials are in place.

get your flue swept by a decent qualified sweep if your still worried, they can shove a cam up of needed to make sure theres no major issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
Yep nearly Home. Was trying to remember Nick...
Replies
Views
Ermintrude
E
That is a brilliant idea. The fan takes more...
Replies
Views
Think the appropriate phrase for this should...
Replies
Views
Mate, all you need to do is everything, to...
Replies
Views
J
Thank you all for the replies - I wouldn't...
Replies
Views
jimbog
J
Back