Looking for pipe information | Find Local Plumbers - Post a Job | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Looking for pipe information in the Find Local Plumbers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

C

Claire

Hello All,

I'm really looking to pick your brains, expertise and general thoughts to be honest, I hope that's OK.

Can anyone tell me what the standard pipe sizes and types we use in the UK for home installation?
In the catalogues (Screwfix etc..) do they measure the diameter as internal or external?
I'm really looking to know for all applications.

Also, with regards to my heating system (new build 'Wimpey' house 2007) there are two rooms in the house that never seem to get as hot as the other rooms, even when the radiator settings are the same... I've been told that this is due to pressure. Then by someone else that nothing is wrong... confused!

Hope there is someone patient and with a spare minute to help me!

Thanks
Claire

The pipe sizes for domestic houses are mainly 15mm, 22mm and 28mm. You may also find microbore on central heating in 8mm and 10mm.
All pipe is measured externally apart from old imperial pipe eg galvanised steel.

You can buy the pipe in copper or plastic.

As for the radiators in two rooms not getting hot, with it being a new build its unlikely to be sludge/blockage, you've probably already bled them, have you turned both the TRV and the locksheild valve (other side) fully up? if so the system probably needs balancing. :)

but she mentioned the 'rooms' not gettin as hot (sorry for sounding padentic)

but maybe its is all rads need balencing. but think about it from all aspects.

are the radiators big enough for the rooms??
have the rooms been insulated in the walls an cielings with fibreglass wool.
all radiator pipes out of sight SHOULD be lagged with foam lagging.
many plumbers dont actually care about this as the jobs may be a 'hit n run' (not causing any slander or offence to n e 1)
but with the correct lagging an insulation you can save round about 15% on your gas bill. with the credit crunch etc tax going up its worth checking out

HI Lee,

The house was built in 2007 so is new, the system has had afew upsets - which is why I am trying to better understand the plumbing side.
the two rooms that don't get hot are one above the other, and most annoying one is my little boys room (he's almost 2) so we had to put a heater in there.

Size-wise for the rooms, they are whatever the developer specified, so I'm not sure. But the house isn't huge or anything.

I've been trying to understand the system better so I can try and find out for myself what is wrong, so far I have had 2 people say 2 very different things!
Very confusing.

I think I'll manage to the New Year and then ask someone independent to come and take a look.

Claire

hi claire

turn on your heating system

and turn off all radiators except the 2 that dont work!!

then turn off the system. leave a while then try bleeding them, some air my come out, some may not!!

again turn on the heating system! with all rads off except the 2 that dont work, are they now getting hot??

if answer yes, then you need to balance the system proper!

if answer no, then try the trv pins (if fitted) like someone stated above!

if this dont work, please make sure the system is full of water, (dont be confused with steam)

if this is ok, try flushing the system, seeing as its new house i dont fink for a second its sludge, but it could be flux/solder n the sorts!

what settings ur pump on? - is the pump working proper?

silly thing - but the radiator valves are open each side aint they?

let me know how u get on.

Similar plumbing topics

That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not if you’re joining up with the old one. I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back