"Losing" hot water | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss "Losing" hot water in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Y

YorkshireJumbo

We have a pressurised heating system with 3 circuits. The system is almost 13 years old, but has been regularly maintained. We recently had a new bathroom fitted with towel radiators, and had the whole system flushed as our original builder used porous plastic pipe where he could. At the same time, we had one of our pressure vessels replaced as it had failed. Since then, our hot water seems to be getting worse, and recently it seems to disappear very quickly. Today the hot water was "on" for several hours, then my daughter started running a bath. She stopped it to put in some lotion or other, but the water went cold soon after she turned it back on.

I've had a look at the tank and can't see anything running from the overflow. The pressure in the system seems fairly constant, so I don't think there are any leaks. There are five copper pipes into the top of the tank (sorry if this is blindingly obvious) - cold water feed, hot water take-off, overflow and 2 pipes for the heating circuit (see here). When the hot water is "on", one of the circuit pipes (smaller diameter pipes in pic) is hot to the touch, one almost stone cold. I'm assuming the coil isn't that efficient at heat transfer, so I was wondering if there was an airlock in the system. Could it be anything else?

I notice that both pipes have a T with an 8-inch upright capped with a knurled fitting which also has a slot in the top. I thought these might be bleed valves as they are the highest part of the circuit, but I was unable to turn them with a large screwdriver or wrench - I didn't try too hard in case I was wrong and I broke something.

Any help gratefully received. I'm happy to call someone out if needed, but I want to cover the obvious first. I'm OK with DIY and have done a couple of bit of maintenance with compression joints but haven't done any soldering since a brief demo 25 years ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a pair of grips on it, carefully and the extra leverage should loosen. It could be air in the system, possiblly something else. Maybe you will have to get someone in it could be the 2 port valve failed but this is part of the safety features and require a quallified person (G3 unvented ticket)

They came undone fairly easily in the end. The hot one had a tiny bit of air, and the cold one had none at all, so I guess it's not an air lock.

Is there anything else I can check before calling for help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick update - called someone in and she found that the return for the hot water circuit was blocked and most of the water from the bolier was going through the bypass. Goodness knows how we had any hot water at all. She thinks the people who flushed the system can't have done the hot water circuit.

She closed off the bypass and cracked open a joint near the end of the return after isolating it. The flow must have cleared the blockage as we now have hot pipes on both sides of the return. Thanks again for the help on here!

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not to my knowledge but they're not things I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I know there are such things as heat meters...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back