Losing out on work lately ? ? ? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Losing out on work lately ? ? ? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Is anyone noticing that customers are tightening their belts a bit ? I have recently been beaten on price by other local tradesmen still winning more than I loose but they seem to be very competitive, not to worried for now but I would like you thoughts gentlemen . Cheers kop

Last edited:
With the rise in fuel prices, gas electric and food all rising over the past 5-6 years at a greater rate than peoples wages people are starting to run out of money. I think the average uk household debt excluding mortgage is something ridiculous like 30k.

The fact we have a stagnant housing market as well due to 1st time buyers getting good deals on new builds those that managed to buy non new builds cant move on as first time buyers need 10-20% deposits.

Add in all the scandals like VW the horsemeat etc people no longer know who to trust what to trust so stick with what they know.

Some people will blame it on Brexit but the rest of Europe have also been in recession at some point over the last year. Brexit or no brexit we are heading into a huge recession.

I have noticed that people are getting more quotes for a job than they used to, this will inevitably lead to what you are experiencing KOP.

I find it frustrating as wastes more time, however on a some occasions the customer has shown me other quotes and this has allowed me to win jobs (a couple of times at a slightly higher price than I would have quoted blind) so swings and roundabouts.

I’m also getting more bath out/ shower in where the customer wants making the best of what’s there rather than complete re-tiling/ overboarding.

But again, at the moment, this puts some installers off I think - we (all?) prefer to do a job from scratch- I think I’ve noticed it’s getting more important to be willing to do what a customer wants rather than what I think/know would be best - as long as it’ll work and has longevity I’m learning to be ok with that.

Problem I am finding is you dont know if they are pricing like for like we can all all trim a quote using cheaper materials and maybe cutting corners but it's not something I want to be doing? , some good points above and agree with you there is definitely a slow down in my area and tradesmen seem to be working cheaper . Cheers kop

Its the Brexit effect pal

Dont think it's anything to do with brexit. Especially around me rents are high house prices are high wages are poor and seasonal council tax has gone up 10% in 2 years peoples wages are lucky if they get any pay rise.

The people have been ripped off by big companies for years and we haven't properly got over the last recession using house building to bring us out of it.

A lot of European countries including the likes of germany and France have been in recession over the last year and apparently brexit doesnt worry them as we need them more than they need us.

Br
Dont think it's anything to do with brexit. Especially around me rents are high house prices are high wages are poor and seasonal council tax has gone up 10% in 2 years peoples wages are lucky if they get any pay rise.

The people have been ripped off by big companies for years and we haven't properly got over the last recession using house building to bring us out of it.

A lot of European countries including the likes of germany and France have been in recession over the last year and apparently brexit doesnt worry them as we need them more than they need us.

Brexit is a massive uncertainty and everyone is just been cautious

I think we will be a right mess for about 10/15 years mate. But I am willing to sacrifice for what I believe will be a stonger England for my children.

I also liked your post as there is no agree yet.
I think nobody knows what really lies ahead of us ....IF we leave. I strongly believe another recession if coming very shortly AND brexit will be blamed for it, maybe that’s why trump and bojo were put there, so the fingers can be pointed in that direction:cool:

This is what happens when you loose out on your quote and some other muppet is cheaper
DAA58E92-CA54-4DB0-981B-43E17F7DBF5A.jpeg

I think nobody knows what really lies ahead of us ..IF we leave. I strongly believe another recession if coming very shortly AND brexit will be blamed for it, maybe that’s why trump and bojo were put there, so the fingers can be pointed in that direction:cool:

I agree a serious recession is approaching and I believe its roots are entirely Brexit based. Its long past caring whether we stay or leave we just need to act. Its the vacuum of inactivity & uncertainty leading to poor or no business decisions that will trigger the recession.

Sheer unadulterated fear is whats stopping people spending.

I voted out and knew that things would get worse before they get better, I would rather we make our own choices than be dictated to, Europe are terrified we will be a success and be their downfall thats the reason they are making it so difficult to come to a deal. Kop
I have liked your comment KOP as there is no agree button yet.

Had a few issues since Dan upgraded the sites often not able to access them tiling forum has been down all day often seeing this like you H I would have liked a Agree button but hey ho . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190804-175847_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190804-175847_Chrome.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20190804-175924_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190804-175924_Chrome.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 3

Similar plumbing topics

Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Having thought about it i'm sure there is a...
Replies
Views
I work in social housing so doesn't affect me...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Update on this post I finally got round to...
Replies
Views
Back