Loud banging from central heating pipes | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Loud banging from central heating pipes in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thescruffyone

Hi there, have searched on here, but cant find anything that really matches my problem, so here it is.

Yesterday I was working in my kitchen (changing sockets, tiling etc.) after turning the electrics off and on a couple of times I noticed the boiler was making a funny noise. It would fire up, make a whooshing noise (like when there is air in the system, then the pipes would bang as if someone was hitting them with a hammer, then it would turn off as though it had got up to temperature. this would happen over and over again. I bled the upstairs rads (the ones downstairs were fine) and removed some air. Both pipes up to the header tank were hot. the upstairs rads were hot, the downstairs ones were cold. I turned the heating off overnight and tried again this morning but the same thing happened. I cant hear the pump working. could this be the problem?

Sorry for the long thread, but i tried to include all the info i could.

thanks

Points to no circulation though boiler,so pump looks like problem
Hope when you was turning power on and off yesterday you turned boiler off first 5/10 mins before,so it could cool down first

Hope when you was turning power on and off yesterday you turned boiler off first 5/10 mins before,so it could cool down first

No I didn't, Didn't even think about it. Although the power was off for about 10 mins at a time. Would that have knackered something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
So it’s 4am and after the noise woke me up...
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Back