Loud Banging Noise When Upstairs Toilet is Flushed? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Loud Banging Noise When Upstairs Toilet is Flushed? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have noticed recently when we flush our upstairs toilet sometimes you can hear what sounds like a loud banging almost matalic noise from the loft? It only lasts a split second.

It doesn't happen all the time and only seems to occur when the upstairs toilet is flushed.

Any help much have appreciated.

I know you dont have tanks in your loft but are there any unsecured pipes , they could "bang" as the toilet fill valve closes

We have an ongoing problem with the soil stack pipe contracting against a joist which produces a tapping and minor knocking noise.

This new noice sounds very much like trapped air, almost like an airlock type noise that occurs a second or so after the toilet is flushed. It sounds like it's coming from the top of the soil stack. Could it be the AAV?

We did accidentally flush a cardboard toilet role down the toilet 2 weeks but have seen no evidence of a blockage since and only noticed this noise since yesterday. Could this be related and a possible cause?

Thanks

In addition, the noise does only seem to be related to the toilet in the main bathroom. The en suite is not effected.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, my boiler starts to make some loud...
Replies
Views
thank you very much - i will see if i can find...
Replies
Views
A
If the toilet is blocking up gradually it...
Replies
Views
Probably your main stopcock is not fitted the...
Replies
Views
Back