loud humming and vibration in water pipes | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss loud humming and vibration in water pipes in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

Mrs _ Columbo

We live in a top floor tenement flat. I have called Scottish Water about this problem and they say that they have not carried out any work in our area for the last 2 weeks and that none of my neighbours have reported a problem.

We have intermittently heard a loud humming and vibration (not banging) in the pipe which leads from our stopcock. Our stopcock is above our front door inside our flat. Sometimes the humming seems to be coming from near the water tank / shower room area (next to each other).

The humming happens on and off, previously just for a few seconds and stops. In the last few days it has happened for minutes at a time, this afternoon for at least 5 minutes. It can happen anytime of the day or night and does not appear to happen because we have turned a tap on or flushed the toilet or the boiler being on.

I have tried turning the stopcock off and then turning it slowly on again (while it hummmed) but this didn't seem to make any difference.

The only thing that I can think might cause it is we have an old and dripping constantly ball valve in our water tank. Could this cause his humming?

I hope you can give some advise because it is probably waking my neighbours up!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live in a top floor tenament, your water main could be feeding half of your blocks water tanks. Very old building, with very old water systems. As you say it could be the valve in your water tank.... But it could be anyones.

Have you shut your stopcock completely when the noise is occurring? Noisy pipes can sound like they come from anywhere. If its defo your stopcock, you should check what tanks they are feeding in the loft, you can then narrow the noise down to X amount of tanks, gently open the ball valves in the tanks and see which one is noisy.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks for the tip. I have an outside tap so...
Replies
Views
M
  • Question
Hi, I've got the same issue. I've got hot...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
Excellent result, no wonder we struggle to...
Replies
Views
H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also, if possible separate/run another tank...
Replies
Views
Back