Low HW pressure | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Low HW pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

We have recently moved into a 40 year old bungalow. The bathroom is possible the smallest one I have ever seen, but has a WC, shower and a small wash basin. It did one have a bath as well, so we are told.
The loft has a cold water tank (approx 55 gallons) and a header tank for the heating (an exterior oil fired boiler for heating with a feed to the indirect HW cylinder). We want to have a bath back in the bathroom (even though it will have to be max 1500mm, but the HW pressure is very poor and I suspect too low to fill a bath.
We have recently had a new indirect vented HW cylinder installed (downstaiirs airing cupboard) as the old one was past it and leaking. While the hot water pressure is a little bit better, it doesn't seem enough to be able to fill a bath. We don't want to go to the expense of a new bath if we can not improve the HW pressure.

Any suggestions for how we can improve the pressure? By the way, the water tank in the loft can not be raised any higher than it is.

Regards

Gary

The bath will fill regardless of pressure. Whether its static 0.1bar or 5bar of pressure it will fill up. I suspect you are not happy with the dynamic pressure (flow rate) and installing a pump at the outlet side of the hw cylinder will boost the dynamic pressure to give a more acceptable flow rate. You will need to increase the size of the header tank as well though.

Thanks for all of your replies.

The kichen pressure/flow was pretty bad, but we have changed the taps and there is now a big improvement there. Can't see too much in the bathrooom until we start taking it all apart, but it seems that the feed there has been .reduced from 22mm to 15mm and then into couple of very narrow flexi-tubes to a very small mixer tap. I am hoping that if and when we put a bath in, replace the 15mm piping with 22mm and fit more sensible taps, that the flow/pressure will be adequate.

Sorry I can't post any pics, but my laptop camera has packed up.

As you suggest, we will conside instaling a pump at the outlet side of the cylinder if all else fails.

Appreciate all of your input.

Regards
Gary

Similar plumbing topics

Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This is a follow up posting. Now have the...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
More likely get a drop in performance.
Replies
Views
  • Question
That's great - thank you
Replies
Views
  • Question
I think 2.7LPM is the minimum requireed so...
Replies
Views
Back